Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:52 AM   #11

Dynamic range is just one of those things you have to deal with w/ digital. All sensors are linear and have this problem... My best guess is initially better than slide film, not quite up to negative film. This is all debateable.

As to the test images, the're fine as to exposure. Lets put a face on these so to speak: The meter averages out the scene. This is performed differently for each metering mode. Thus the names matrix,center weighted ect.As you can see from below the average is about 99. Theory is (I'm not going to debate it) 110 (allowable error is +/- 1/3 EV, which in this case is around 15 "points")is the CORRECT average in RGB colorspace w/ a meter calibrated toISO standards. The following image clearly shows that is the case. Second image shows the blue channel and it is approaching saturation. This would eventually cause a minor color shift.I've really boiled this down to "if your not happy" you can either resign yourself to post-processing, dial in 1/2 EV compensation, or go to a P/S. This is not to be critical just a fact. To use my favorite analogy (to explain why I shoot RAW and why I like to post-process) why get polaroid prints out of your DSLR? Give me something to work with and I'm happy. To some people this is understandably unacceptable.

Now contrast range is another story. Boost the contrast in camera and see if you like it. There are some people who have a definite "set" of values that work well for them but since I don't shoot jps as a rule they are meaningless to me and I can't remember them :sad:.

As to post processing RAW to give me "snapshot quality" it is only a matter of seconds to "fix" each. Do WB, adj exposure, process, expand histogram, sharpen... done.Sounds tedious but it's not.

jabilson007 wrote:

Quote:
OK, I thougt it was just me and my preference for the advanced modes, but my wife just came back with 500+ shots from Chicago(Marathon) and 90% are underexposed by 1-2 stops. She used autopict mode as I suggested for simplicity. I am getting really frustrated with this. The results echo testing of a K100d from a local store last Friday. Now I am concerned, because I had hoped to upgrade to a k10d but specs match that of the k100d. I will wait for professional reviews before I make my next purchase(soon!), but to me it does not look promising.:shock:

These examples from the Pentax site illustrate my concern:

http://www.pentax.co.uk/images/produ.../Image%209.JPG

http://www.pentax.co.uk/images/produ.../Image%204.JPG

http://www.pentax.co.uk/images/produ.../Image%208.JPG

Detail looks great, but exposure and dynamic range are my concern. Maybe I am overreacting. Tell me what you think.

On a side note, will a lab such as Costco/Walmart make prints with an exposure gain if requested? She likes triple prints and my little home printer cannot handle this load as she wants all pics printed.:?

Thanks.
Jon
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:04 AM   #12

I suppose this is what you are expecting... I won't tolerate this, unless I WANT it that way. Ignore the spikeys for now. This had a 2 sec contrast/sat/intensity boost (lets ignore color for a moment). All the channels are now blown but I assume this is what most people expect... Cause of my initial sigh post.

Notice the mean/median are approaching C4n$n standard....

Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:36 AM   #13

Couldn't resist playing w/ this one. Original is too blown for my liking but a quick tone curve adj punches it up a bit. Sorry to bore you w/ this stuff.....

Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:29 AM   #14

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
Couldn't resist playing w/ this one. Original is too blown for my liking but a quick tone curve adj punches it up a bit. Sorry to bore you w/ this stuff.....
Learning is never boring. Lead on.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Detail looks great, but exposure and dynamic range are my concern. Maybe I am overreacting. Tell me what you think.
I think exposure is spot on and dynamic range is very good in those shots.

I think Catbells may be right about the need to calibrate you monitor.
http://www.alpenglowimaging.com/monitor-calibration.htm

I also think the K100D has the best metering system in its class. The D80 might be as good or better; nothing cheaper would be better. It may underexpose slightly, but that is the way many users who post process want it. If you want it a bit brighter, use +1/3 EV. I also think when you say 90% of shots were underexposed by 1-2 stops you must mean 1-2 thirds of a stop.

But if you would prefer a camea with a tendency to overexpose, you might try a D50 or a Rebel XT. And if you want more dynamic range, you might try a Fuji S3 Pro. But it costs more and really isn't as good overall.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:56 PM   #16

It all depends on what metering mode you use for what subject. No meter can beat a careful set of measurements with the spot meter.

I don't know anything about Picture modes (seems like a load of BS to me) but knowing the characteristics of your specific camera unit and the meter in it was always essential to good metering. That goes all the way back to hand-held meters.
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:13 AM   #17

My monitor is fine. I see all gray levels in the scale and my prints match my monitor. I have even cross referenced the monitor to a professional proof. It is very close. Do you not think that Images 1 and 3 are dark overall for the composiition? I do and this reflects my results with my camera. Image 2 was referenced because the response of some that pentax metering underexposes to prevent blown highlights. Clearly this is not the case in this photo and shows no more dynamic range than previous cameras in my opinion. It just seems to me the metering is off and miscalculates the scene way more often than gets it right.

By the way, Costco did an excellent job of brightening the photos and making great prints.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:32 PM   #18

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18667680