Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:00 PM   #1

I really liked the Samsung (rebadged DL2) but having had stabilised cameras in the past, i was conscious that some of my images were suffering fromminute amounts of shake but enough to be telling in the image.

i decided to go the K100D route. I thought it would be much the same camera, except with the benefit of S.R.

What i wasn't expecting was the very noticable improvement in auto focus speed.

I kept my samsung 55-200 lens and together with the K100D kit lens, i am am getting some really nice sharps pictures, thanks to S.R.

I used to have a Nikon and the 70 - 200 VR was on my wish list - I would accept that this lens is still superior to my 55-200, however with S.R. on my camera, the gap between the two lenses is much closer.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:11 PM   #2

Hi Norm

I currently have the DS, Which I Love. I also am Noticing that i am Much More Shaky than i Would like. So I am waiting a Few more months and Seriously Considering The K10D as a replacement.

Good luck with the New Samsung

BK/Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:23 PM   #3

Norm - I did the same thing. I had the DS and wanted a longer zoom, but knew that I wasn't steady enough for one. Playing with the K100D at night one night gave me the confidence to get one and I love it. It's helped quite a bit with other pictures, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:36 PM   #4

norm,
examples?????

roy
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:13 AM   #5

I kinda think that's it's wrong to rely too much on 'in camera' shake reduction - don't get me wrong, I'm not against it as it has obvious advantages.

During the very limited time that I owned a Nikon 8000 I found it useful when forced to use slow shutter speeds for long telephoto shots but that's my point, shouldn't itbe used when lighting conditions fail & not as an every day thing.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6

why would I ever want to switch it off (other than panning and tripod use).

I'm certainly not a big fan of carrying a tripod around - though I keep one in the car boot just in case I need long exposures.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:08 PM   #7

Because it uses more battery and it can effect image quality.
Both are debatable issues though.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:11 PM   #8

SR isn't the end-all and it does have its limits as to how much it can help. However, I posted two moon shots recently, both taken on a tripod, both with the same lens,but on different nights. One had SR on, one did not. I couldn't tell much difference between the two (you can see them here on the latest moon thread).

As far as the batteries - yes, it does use up the batteries faster, but that's a relative thing. I put my reserve batteries in something like Monday (they had been charged a couple of weeks ago), took a few pictures several times this week, then a whole bunch on Friday (the autumn pictures), some more today (more autumn pictures, along with some ducks) and they are still going strong. I do change batteries more often, but it's not THAT big of a difference.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:16 PM   #9

For some actual SR on vs SR off comparison photos, have a look at
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=107000&forum_id=80&jump_ to=627443

Mike

MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:00 PM   #10

I know that with my walk around lens (ie tripod stays in the car - hoorah), at my local bird sanctuary, eyes and feathers are sharper / crisper with SR than on my previous cam (without SR)