Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:59 AM   #11

mtngal, It could be a problem with Virtual Memory.
Have you tried rebooting your PC and trying it again? (without loading anything else but CS2)

If you want to fiddle with Virtual Memory settings:
[align=left]- Right click 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'
- Click the 'Advanced' tab
- Click the 'Settings' Button
- Click the 'Advanced' tab
- Click the 'Change' button
[/align]
Be careful what you change, bigger is not always better and may slow down your PC.
What are the current values listed/options selected?

PDL
, the slideshow does have music on the PC version. You just need to scroll down on the right panel to find the option to enable it and choose what music u want.
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
This is just my personal opinion (we all have different tastes), but I find the silkypix versionjusta bit oversharpened. I prefer the LR version. But as I say, that's my taste in photos.

I downloaded LR and played with it yesterday. I opened something from LR into CS2 and tried to crop to a set size (only occasionally use this particular option when cropping). I got an error message saying that the scratch disk was full and to empty the trash. Got out of CS2 and LR said that it was out of disk space. I looked and still had 30GB available on the hard drive, but emptied the trash and deleted several things I should have gotten rid of long ago and tried again. Same thing. So I uninstalled LR and betweeen all the deletions had a spare 32 GB on my disk. Opened the file in CS2, tried to crop to a constrained size and got the same error. Since LR is no longer on my computer I guess the problem is with CS2. Not that long ago I had Best Buy add memory to the computer (now have 2GB) and they also ran a program to get rid of some spyware I had picked up and couldn't get rid of. Is it possible they also "optimized" my virtual memory settings so that the computer can't use as much hard disk space? If so, is there anyway I can change it? I readily admit to being pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this.

And I take back all of the bad words I said about LR when I ran across this problem - the more I think about it, the more I think its not LR that caused the problem. Thinking now of re-installing it.

Otherwise, I thought it had some neat features, though (like anything Adobe does) has all kinds of stuff and it will take a long time to figure them all out.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:15 PM   #12

I think Lightroom 4 is acceptable speed wise, where previous versions were unusable. The color correction tools are nearly complete and the cropping/straightening tool is the best I've seen. I went through 400 raw shots in 2 hours and converted to jpeg. I like the program very much and hope the final version price is not out of reach.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:23 PM   #13

I figured out my memory - it was an "operator head-space and timing" situation, not a memory thing. Just a matter of a decimal point, that's all. I did change it to a system managed virtual memory instead of the 750-1440 that it was set at. Think I'll leave it alone for a while but at least I know what I was doing that was giving my poor computer headaches, and I'm going to re-install LR.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:55 AM   #14
PDL

I know where the "music" selection is - it can not find my hard drive where the music is loaded - and it does not load .wma files. Remember - this is Mac software ported to the PC. I have loaded LR 4.1 three times - including deleting all the LR temp files - not working - that is why it is still beta.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:15 AM   #15
PDL

PS - in order to insert the Copywrite symbol © on a PC, hold down the ALT key and on the Numeric keypad enter 0169. When exported and viewed in explorer (NOT IE) right click -> properties -> summary -> advanced it shows Copywrite (C) yada yada.

Nice to be able to embed the Copywrite notice in the exif information.

PDL
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:37 AM   #16

jabilson007 wrote:
Quote:
I think Lightroom 4 is acceptable speed wise, where previous versions were unusable. The color correction tools are nearly complete and the cropping/straightening tool is the best I've seen. I went through 400 raw shots in 2 hours and converted to jpeg. I like the program very much and hope the final version price is not out of reach.

I mentioned in another thread that I processed 300+ RAWs in an hour or two in LR and nobody believed me

Speedwise, LR Beta 4 is better than Beta 3 (it uses system resource wisely). I have Dual-Core on my laptop and desktop. So I don't feel it slow at all.

Quality wise, it is still a little bit below PPL v3 (Silkypix engine).
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:11 AM   #17

PDL wrote:
Quote:
I know where the "music" selection is - it can not find my hard drive where the music is loaded - and it does not load .wma files. Remember - this is Mac software ported to the PC. I have loaded LR 4.1 three times - including deleting all the LR temp files - not working - that is why it is still beta.

PDL
After uninstalling the former version through the"Add / Remove Programs" control panel, go to My Comp. > (C Drive > Program Files > Adobe and trash the Lightroom folder there. This should give you a good install of 4.1.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:46 PM   #18
PDL

Been there - done that.

Can't see the D: drive in the music - but it can see all my RAW images on the D: drive. Go figure.

PDL
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:30 PM   #19

OOps... my bad. I thought you meant that LR wasn't working at all. I believe that they know about this bug and will correct it before Version 1.0, but exactly when... who knows?

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:02 PM   #20

I just love Adobe Lightroom!* Trying to use the Pentax software almost knocked me off using RAW altogether.* Sure, Photo Lab, Camera Raw, Silkypix can do nice stuff, but I can't use them!* I find them unintuitive and difficult to manouvre around in.* After I installed Lightroom (Beta 3 I think) on my iBook G4 I haven't switched back to JPEG.* It does all the simple little things like preset WB for when mine is buggered, cropping, straightening (love how it works too), tonal correction, some saturation if I need it, I can print directly...etc.* I also love the way it looks and Beta 4 just got better.* With it, PS7, Safari, iTunes and Mail open I have just a little of my 512MB of RAM left over, it is a little slow mind you (I'll upgrade my RAM eventually).* It fits perfectly into my workflow and I'll be snatching it up as soon as the final version is released.* If you haven't tried it out, at least download it and see what you think!*
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote