Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:26 AM   #1

In a previous related forum, I commented that in order to install this, SP2 must be installed & that I had experienced problems in using it so had reverted back to SP1.

Well, I've resolved the problems with SP2 which after a bit of searching around, found the 'tick box' under Advanced & turned on 'Active content to run from CDs & files on My Computer'. This now prevents the warning dialog repeatedly popping up every time I run my web page from my PC when using java scripts to create a pop up window to display images.

OK. So I've installed Lightroom beta 4 and played around with it. Like all new applications, they take a bit of patience to get to grips with various things and it looks pretty good but it does seem to take quite a time to update the image when performing some of the tasks, even when processing just a single image.

Maybe it's the speed of my processor but with 1G of RAM, it shouldn't be that slow.

I wonder if any one else has any comments on it's speed of use.

The attached image (100% crop) compares Lightroom against the latest beta version by Silkypix and Pentax's PhotoLab v2; I still need to persevere with Lightroom - I don't think I've quite gotten the right colour balance but there's more detail in the Silkypix image.

Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:11 AM   #2

i have installed it and played around with it a bit
i cant say i have noticed it being slow

i just need to figure out what everything does
the other raw convertor i use is a plugin for GIMP
and i find it much easier to use
so far i havent had anything thats come out of lightroom that i would show any one

i only found a few basic tutorials which didnt cover everythhing
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:44 AM   #3

I Will say That the newest release Is faster than the the first release. However Its Still Slow on 3.2G P4 with 1.5G RAM. And IMHO it hasa very high Learning Curve. While i will Get the Initial release( I Own RSP). I Still love RSP and Will Continue to Use it.

Call Me set in My Ways. But i just like the Work flow.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:58 AM   #4

My laptop is a P4/1.6Gh/512 and I have no real complaints re speed with Beta 4.1. Beta 3 was pitiful though. I found some nice tutes here:

http://photoshopnews.com/category/ph...ews/lightroom/

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/home.htm

http://www.rawworkflow.com/

http://www.seanmcfoto.com/lightroom/

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:34 AM   #5

Agree, if you think beta4 is slow you should have been on beta3, beta3 also tried to allocate about 1gb memory when it was doing nothing :-).

Beta4 looks quite different from beta3 and the latest beta4.2 looks and works a bit different again :G
It is a work in progress and the final performance optimization and look won't be set and release until it goes for sale next year.

It is a great thing to play around with and give feedback to Adobe on, but I would not use it for anything serious until it goes GA.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:59 PM   #6

I was really sceptical towards Lightroom, however after using it I must say that it gives better quality than Silkypix, RawShooter. Unfortunately it is not so convenient to use as RawShooter I find myself reviewing and deleting new pictures in RawShooter however I do all PP in Lightroom.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:03 PM   #7

I'm really enjoying Lightroom Beta 4.
Its a huge improvement from the Beta 1 I tried ages ago.
Infact B1 was totally unusable for me, but B4 seems perfectly fine, no real speed issues.
I have a 1.6ghz Centrino Laptop with 512mb RAM.

The GUI is a thousand lightyears away from the poor Pentax Photo Lab
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:02 PM   #8

This is just my personal opinion (we all have different tastes), but I find the silkypix versionjusta bit oversharpened. I prefer the LR version. But as I say, that's my taste in photos.

I downloaded LR and played with it yesterday. I opened something from LR into CS2 and tried to crop to a set size (only occasionally use this particular option when cropping). I got an error message saying that the scratch disk was full and to empty the trash. Got out of CS2 and LR said that it was out of disk space. I looked and still had 30GB available on the hard drive, but emptied the trash and deleted several things I should have gotten rid of long ago and tried again. Same thing. So I uninstalled LR and betweeen all the deletions had a spare 32 GB on my disk. Opened the file in CS2, tried to crop to a constrained size and got the same error. Since LR is no longer on my computer I guess the problem is with CS2. Not that long ago I had Best Buy add memory to the computer (now have 2GB) and they also ran a program to get rid of some spyware I had picked up and couldn't get rid of. Is it possible they also "optimized" my virtual memory settings so that the computer can't use as much hard disk space? If so, is there anyway I can change it? I readily admit to being pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this.

And I take back all of the bad words I said about LR when I ran across this problem - the more I think about it, the more I think its not LR that caused the problem. Thinking now of re-installing it.

Otherwise, I thought it had some neat features, though (like anything Adobe does) has all kinds of stuff and it will take a long time to figure them all out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:06 PM   #9
PDL

I have been using it for the last few moths (since 3.0 came out). The slide show does not play music - unless you have a Mac. bummer.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:29 PM   #10

mtngal

I cannot say with any certainty that CS2 is not your issue. However, i have both CS2 and LR on My PC and no issues using either one.
I also have PSE5 on this PC.

BK/Phil

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
This is just my personal opinion (we all have different tastes), but I find the silkypix versionjusta bit oversharpened. I prefer the LR version. But as I say, that's my taste in photos.

I downloaded LR and played with it yesterday. I opened something from LR into CS2 and tried to crop to a set size (only occasionally use this particular option when cropping). I got an error message saying that the scratch disk was full and to empty the trash. Got out of CS2 and LR said that it was out of disk space. I looked and still had 30GB available on the hard drive, but emptied the trash and deleted several things I should have gotten rid of long ago and tried again. Same thing. So I uninstalled LR and betweeen all the deletions had a spare 32 GB on my disk. Opened the file in CS2, tried to crop to a constrained size and got the same error. Since LR is no longer on my computer I guess the problem is with CS2. Not that long ago I had Best Buy add memory to the computer (now have 2GB) and they also ran a program to get rid of some spyware I had picked up and couldn't get rid of. Is it possible they also "optimized" my virtual memory settings so that the computer can't use as much hard disk space? If so, is there anyway I can change it? I readily admit to being pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this.

And I take back all of the bad words I said about LR when I ran across this problem - the more I think about it, the more I think its not LR that caused the problem. Thinking now of re-installing it.

Otherwise, I thought it had some neat features, though (like anything Adobe does) has all kinds of stuff and it will take a long time to figure them all out.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote