Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:08 PM   #1

For my K100D,I have the kit lens which would use a 52mm filter. Soon I will be getting a longer telephoto lens which will use a 62mm filter. If I don't want to buy two different sets of filters, I know I can purchase "step up" or "step down" rings. I don't know anything about this stuff, but to me it seems like I would want to step up so that I can use the larger 62mm filters on the smaller lens. Is that the best way to go? Wouldn't stepping down cause the ring to be visible in the photos? If I step up, will I still be able to use the lens hood that came with the kit lens? Thanks.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:01 PM   #2

You need to buy 62mm filter and 52mm to 62mm step-up ring.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:37 PM   #3

hi,

you've got it right, if you step down you'll likely get vignetting (the smaller filter showing up in the corners of the image). i already had a 55mm polarizer and a set of 55mmclose-up diopters when i got my dl w/ kit lens and i just use them with an inexpensive 52-55 step up ring. the lens hood won't go on over the larger filter but if my fingers were nimbler i think i could get the filter on inside the attached hood. don't know if 62mm filters would fit.

it not only saves expense it cuts down on clutter in your camera bag toget filters in the largest size you need and use the step up rings for your other lenses. i do however get a UV filter to fit each lens. i also got a 55mm lens cap for when i'm driving or moving around with a larger size filter attached.

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:49 PM   #4

Thanks guys! I thoughtI was on the right track, but it's nice to know for sure.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote