Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1

AND....... I am Maw Harley and I have LBA :roll:

Actually my gently used *ist DS arrived this past week, and I already had 2 lenses waiting here for it :-). But seriously I am very happy with this camera.

I just got out today to take some shots on one ofthe trails above the Kern River. Don't think I came home with anything spectacular, as a matter of fact most of my close shots came out looking pretty blurred. I would like to post them here to get your ideas on what the problem is, but right I have to go figure out how to RESIZE TO POST (ARHG!!!!!!!!!!!!)

This is all more fun than I thought it would be :angry: Really it is.........

Anyway I seem to remember someone here uses picasa. Is there a way to resize to post to the web from that program???? Any help would be appreciated.

Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2

For quick and easy resizing, you can't beat Irfanview - www.irfanview.com . Load your picture and hit Ctrl-R (or Edit, Resize/Resample) and enter the dimensions or pick from some standards. Hit S (or File, Save As) to save it under a new name.

There is no "standard" web size, most people seem to use 640-750 pixels for the width for forum photos.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:53 AM   #3

ditto
be sure to get the plugins for irfanview also.

roy
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:01 AM   #4

I use Picasa but I do not think there is any way to resize to post, unless you were to use the email function and let it create a resized one for the email, and then copied that image from your sent folder to use in the forum. Picasa remains my favorite photo organizor but it is really not an editor. One thing to remember is that any changes you make to a picture in Picasa only apply in Picasa, the original is apparently not affected.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:41 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

At Ira's suggestion, I down loaded one of the Windows Power Toys that allows me to re-sie pictures (right click and select size). Works well for me.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:22 PM   #6
TDN

Congrats!
Welcome to the LBA self-help group! :lol:

TDN

P.S.: I use irfanview too, it takes some getting used to, but it preserves the original date & EXIF info.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 2:51 PM   #7

Oh, goody - someone else who's a mountain dweller and a Pentaxian, too. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the northern Tehachapis/southern Sierras, such a lovely area.

Which two lenses are you using?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:25 PM   #8

Thank you everyone..

Okay and thanks, DF and robar, I downloaded irfanview to resize, does it do anything else besides resize///???? (just kidding, I have such a headache between 3 new programs today) with any luck I am about to attach 5 photos here.

mtgal, oops, did I say 2 lenses??? (omg this is worse than I thought) I actuallyhad 3 plusthe 1 that I bought the same time I purchased the camera. The lenses I have:

Sigma 24-135 ( it actually works so far yeaaaaaa :-))

Pentax m 50mm f/1.7 - this one has a little problem with the aperture

Pentax kit 18-55

Pentax m 50mm f/1.4 purchase same time as the cam. SWEEEEET!!!!!

After I studied the exif I noticesvery fast shutter on Ap priority. At 1/4000 on a couple, lack of light is NOT a problem here.

These were all take with the sigma.

First photo I actually found that the stem tip was more focused than flower. What do you think??? Stop down for little more dof???

Another close shot

The following are shots of the Kern River below the Lake Isabelladam. This part of the riverflows threw narrow but deeplychiseled out rock.

I had a lot of fun playing with the aperture and shallow depth of field. My first actually. I know I have a lot to learn. Any responses and opinions and critiques are appreciated and welcome.

Thanx, Bev

Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:42 PM   #9

first 2 shots- a little camera shake
last 3 are good except for the time of day you took them. try the sweet hour of 1 hour after sunrise or 1 hour before sunset. use a tripod. you will not believe the difference.. glad you're enjoying your new tool..

roy
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:56 PM   #10

Macros definitely need some more DOF (and yes, having a small DOF does take getting used to!). Could also be a bit of camera shake, but I don't think so - the DOF is so small, and as you say, the top of the first one appears quite sharp (actually both of them have sharp parts). I've started using the on-board flash andabout the smallest aperture I canwith a PhoenixFA 100mm macro lens I have, and it helps (get far more keepers). That won't work with manual lenses (or maybe its because I don't know enough about using flash to be able to get it to work right). Another thing to try is using a tabletop tripod, so slower shutter speeds won't be as much of a problem (only works for certain situations).

I think it was Roy (?) who posted a while ago about just using a pole for added stability. You hold the pole and the camera in one hand, then slide your hand up or down on the pole until you focus. It does help and doesn't require any fancy equipment (any pole will do - I used a trekking pole).

I really like your middle Kern River photo, and thefirst one is so typical of SoCal mountains.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote