Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:05 PM   #11

tarzan,
i'll take the 35-105. eh,, it's a rotten lens.. hehe
welcome to the board..
the lenses you listed are quite possibly the finest glass pentax ever made except for their * class lenses. the 50 might be surpassed by the f1.4 50mm but........

i just purchased, haven't received, a tokina 80-200mm f2.8 to see if it will replace my 70-210 f4. i want the extra stop of exposure. it's older than the lenses you listed by at least 5 years. i have 1 auto focus lens, the kit lens. all my other glass is A or preA. camers come and go but good glass is forever. well unless you use c* or n* cameras.

tell your friend that ignorance isn't bliss.. keep the fine glass you have as it will produce very fine images for a long time..

roy
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:08 PM   #12

actually the 2 zooms will go around 150 each. i've wanted the 35-105 f3.5 for a long time as a walk around lens. i've also seen both of these zooms go for over 200 each..

roy

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
They are all close to best old time lens according to Stan. particularly A50mm1.7.

The other zooms (all smc models) are very decent too. I would believe you may get around $200 from ebay if you sell those.

So you want better tech or lens for better pix which is what counts?

Some joke about garbage A lens

mrtarzan wrote:
Quote:
I have these old pentax lenses
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:51 PM   #13

You could buy a new lens that will give you Autofocus and Auto exposure - but have you looked at how much an f1.7 will cost these days.

I'm keeping my 35 year old 50mm f1.4 for Macro and night/star photography - auto isn't much use there.

When I started photography you had no choice - manual exposure, manual focus, NO zoom, manual winder, manual printing. But try and telltoday's newcomers what a wonderful education that was. (yes, I do use Auto everything very often )

Mike
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:05 PM   #14

mike,
you just hit the nail on the head!!!!

roy
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:19 PM   #15

Those lenses are terrible. Big, heavy and the cramps you'll get from carrying them around and having to twist the thing to focus. Setting the aperture, who wants that. Oh, and how unhip you look with those on an new DSLR. Man, just be done with 'em and send 'em to me so you'll never have to be seen with them again.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:24 PM   #16

. . . . good try
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:58 PM   #17

Oh no! Why didn't someone tell me this before??
I just bought a bulk lot of 5 old lenses + more on eBay.
I'll guess I'll have to sell them ALL and buy ONE new lense with the same money.
:blah:

B&H are selling the FA 50mm 1.4 for us$219
I got the 5 lenses above, including an A 50mm 1.4, a camera (MV), a flash, all cases and a bag for only us$235!!

I guess the new lenses are infact better and lighter than the older ones, but not by much. When you consider the prices, the old lenses are absolute bargains!

Your friend is probably jealous :lol:

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:20 AM   #18

mrtarzan wrote:
Quote:
I have these old pentax lenses

smc a 70-210

smc a 50 -1.7

smc a 35-105

Now when a friend looked at my collection he asked me why I was using such old lenses which are at least 20 years old when the latest lensesare now lighterwith much better technology.

Any comments
ahh, but what about the glass
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:10 PM   #19

SMC-A series lenses are old???
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote