Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1

Since my Sigma 24-135mm lense is now working with DL... I thought it would be a good idea to protect it. Can anyone recommend a good clear /UV filter.

I've never had an slr before so never needed a filter, which would most people prefer a clear or UV?

I'm looking to keep it on almost all the time, this lense is really the one used most of the time for me.

Thanks
Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:01 PM   #2

I contemplated for a while and give up. The reason is simple: a good quality 77mm filter costs more than the lens itself.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:05 PM   #3
TDN

I always use a UV filter, because I'd rather scratch that than my lens.

Mine are cheap, maybe not as good quality as the more expensive ones, but I've never had a situation where it hindered the image.

The B+W ones are pretty decent.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:09 PM   #4

A B&W filter that size is about $100 US.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:14 PM   #5

This is a topic of much debate. Optically, there's zero reason to put any filter on a DSLR lens (and reason not to - a "clear" filter can only hurt, not help, image quality.)

I think that most lenses (at least the front glass) lead a relatively pampered life and are really not in that much danger of being scrathed or broken most of the time. Ultimately it's a personal decision but optically, there's no need.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:19 PM   #6

Buy most of my filters @www.keh.com. They sell used and new-S&H is a little steep but if you buy a few items it's not as painful. Their used filters are normally great quality. They have a Sunpak (new) 77mm Skylight 1A for about $30.00
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:21 PM   #7

I'm really looking to get the filter to protect the front lens. Is it worth buying a Tiffen or Hoya filter ? I see the Hoya Digital Pro clear for around $40 on EBay. I really don't want to reduce picture quality at all, so I'm wondering if I should just try and be more careful and if need bedrop another $150 for a replacemnt lens.

Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:57 PM   #8

As said by Damfino. This is a Much debated Subject. However I choice not to use the 1A /UV Filter and instead just make Sure that I have the lense hood on at all times.
Recently at a local state, while shooting some falls. I Slipped on the rocks and down Went I and camera. Because the lense hood was On, It broke not the lense.

YMMV

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:24 PM   #9

I just picked up a 62mm Hoya Circular polarizing filter for my Sigma 18-125mm at a camera market. It cost $20 and is quite interesting for taking shots in the sunshine. By rotating the filter you are able to manipulate the polarizing affect which rendered the sky in a really nice deep blue colour.

bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:54 PM   #10

My Tiffen to fit the 24-135mm Sigma cost about a dollar per mm of diameter. It cost me about $80 (more than I paid for the lens before shipping). My wife got it for me so I didn't know it would cost so much until it was too late. Needless to say it now stays on the lens or I would be in trouble.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote