Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:31 PM   #1

In my country I can find DL with 18-55, sd, case, filter, for 500 euros.

K100D with 18-55 for 650 euros.

Which one is a better deal?

Does k100d have better jpeg quality (different software)?

Does k100d have better auto-focus (it has more points, but I do not know if it makes any difference)?
fonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:03 PM   #2

Just my opinion (I have both the DS and the K100D) on this: The K100D does have a slight edge on jpg quality, but not a huge one (at least that I could see). The auto focusseems somewhatfaster than with the DS, but I don't really know why - the DShas asimilar number ofAF points as the K100D, more than the DL, so it isn't that. I don't usually use all those AF points - I'm so used to center-weighted exposure and focus that's what I use. The extra points can come in handy for some people, though.

The biggest advantage I think that the K100D has over the DL is the SR. It has meant more "keepers" when I'm shooting in low light, macros and with a long lens. If you have very good photo stance skills, then perhaps it won't be as big a deal. Just me, but the K100D is worth the extra money. But for you??? Perhaps not- the DL is a VERY nice camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:55 AM   #3

In the medium to long term, the K100D would be my choice, as the price difference means it is cheaper to do it now than upgrade later.

There are two main difference between the two cams and as as been said, this means more shooting opportunities and more keepers.

1st difference is the K100D has the newest version of AF and it is noticably faster,

2nd difference is the anti shake, this does make a big difference. Most of my pictures are now much sharper, especially noticable on the eyes of animals.

The DL gives a lovely image but there is a practical and noticable generational difference with the K100D.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:09 AM   #4
TDN

500 euros is too much for a DL nowadays. Youc an find them for about 350€ 2nd hand or nearly new.

If you can afford it, go for the K100D. I would.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:53 AM   #5

Well, to be honest I have another possibility:

Since I own a couple of canon lenses (CANON EF 24-85MM 1:3.5-4.5 U-ultrasonic 76MM and CANON EF 80-200MM 1:4.5-5.6 II 52MM) I could buy a canon 400D and use the lenses I have. But I'll lose the wide angle and the stabilizer...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6
TDN

fonzi wrote:
Quote:
Well, to be honest I have another possibility:

Since I own a couple of canon lenses (CANON EF 24-85MM 1:3.5-4.5 U-ultrasonic 76MM and CANON EF 80-200MM 1:4.5-5.6 II 52MM) I could buy a canon 400D and use the lenses I have. But I'll lose the wide angle and the stabilizer...
Wow, now there's a piece of information that's pretty vital

You can use those on the Canon DSLRs...I would seriously consider one of those if I were you.

Of course you can sell those 2 lenses and use the money to buy the new camera...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:49 AM   #7

I can not sell those 2 lenses because they are not mine. I've borrowed them from a friend that has an analogrebel 300 canon. He will need them sooner or later... If I go this way I'll have to buy a new lens in the future.

For now on I do not know if the 400D with the wider of the 2 lenses produce better pictures than Pentax K100D with kit's 18-55 lens.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:10 PM   #8

There's one other difference that might or might not be important to you. The DL is lighter than the K100D, as well as being a bit smaller. I'm small and the K100D is about as big/heavy as I want to go. There are others who think the DL is too small for their hands, and would prefer the K100D. I didn't think the difference was enough to influence me one way or the other, just something to think about.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:14 PM   #9

Yes, dl is smaller.

Personaly, I prefer DL in terms of size.

But the canon 400D is small (I prefer so) too.

I could go for k10d but this is very heavy for my tastes...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:24 PM   #10

fonzi wrote:
Quote:
I could go for k10d but this is very heavy for my tastes...
Could you remind me of this when I start getting green with envy when everyone starts posting their awesome K10D pictures? I agree with you - for me the K100D is as heavy as I think I'd want to go. Of course, I was the one who said I wouldn't upgrade to the K100D because I loved my DS!

I can see why you are on the fence between having access to some Canon lenses vs. getting the Pentax. Normally one of the best arguments for getting the Pentax is the lower cost of lenses if you want IS (don't have to buy expensive Canon stabilized lenses). Glad I'm not in your shoes!

One other thought - if you decide to get the DL because of price (definitely a consideration), that doesn't mean that you can't buy a K100D or whatever they come out with to replace it a year from now. And you'll have all that experience with the DL to get an idea of what you really want and need in a camera. Just a thought...