Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:58 AM   #11
TDN

I agree with you about the combination DL + 50mm. I've used it on my camera for a few weeks now and simply love it.

I have the A f1.7 version. If you can, get that one. It's only ±10$ less cheap than the M and you get all programs (instead of just the M mode).

For me the automatic exposure makes up for the time I lose focussing manually. Speed is crucial on the streets to capture that "one moment".

probably among the best glass to be found for that price...

TDN

For examples: look here: http://www.tdn9.be/photo.php?id=48
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:54 PM   #12

http://www.tdn9.be/photo/SDGent019_L.jpg

I like part. this one. Are they all from your A50mm 1.7?

You have an impressive album there.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:29 PM   #13

DL with a $60 FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 zoom, total $930Cdn (before the big price drop).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:34 PM   #14
TDN

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
http://www.tdn9.be/photo/SDGent019_L.jpg

I like part. this one. Are they all from your A50mm 1.7?

You have an impressive album there.

Daniel
Thanks

Yes, they're all taken with the A 50mm 1.7
It was the only lens I took with me.

I just enjoy using it so much, it's incredibly sharp, sharper than any lens I've ever looked trough, even wide open!

Using only this one also forces me to consider alternative shooting stances & methods, because of the lack of zoom.
Maybe less convenient, but I sure learn a lot by using it...

TDN

Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:19 PM   #15

i love my DS but will probably sell it to aquire the k10. anyway, here's some shots with a (i think i've beat you all) $18 sigma POS 28-800mm. think i got 38 for it on ebay.

also just noticed the last shot was number 5000 for the my DS.

roy
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:44 PM   #16

I'm one of the lucky ones who got the DL for a paltry $367... (thanks Beach!) I've since added a Pentax 50-200 and the Zenitar, in addition to a few old K1000 lenses. The next lens is going to be a 50mm, probably a new 1.4. The price is astonishing for the quality of the camera.

I do want to move up to one with IS but not for a while, and I'm not sure if I'll dig deep for a K10D... I probably will, and give the DL to my wife. I'm sure it won't be as big of a bargain as the DL was though.
Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:56 PM   #17

Damfino wrote:
Quote:
I'm one of the lucky ones who got the DL for a paltry $367... (thanks Beach!) I've since added a Pentax 50-200 and the Zenitar, in addition to a few old K1000 lenses. The next lens is going to be a 50mm, probably a new 1.4. The price is astonishing for the quality of the camera.
Wow! You have got a good deal. Likely the whole thing would not cost more than $1,000.( $367+$170+$150+ some old K1ooo era lens). You likely can get the 50mm and still within 1,000

I doubt if Canon or Nikon package can beat that?

Daniel
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:58 PM   #18

robar, the lighting and color combination in those photo are just superb!!! i love it!!!

& Monza i gotta check out the FA you'r talking about. Is that the street price for them normally? sounds like a bargin for a long zoom.

I am also in the recieving line for a Zenitar =) paid more than a wk ago from victor, so I can hardly wait.

I've been eyeying some AF tele converters that grant manual lenses auto focusing. now if i find that, then pentax is really the Midas camera as it transforms all the old manual lenses into autofocus with shake reduction. although even without AF we still get the focus confirmation hexagon, that feature is darn useful!

back to the topic, the reasons I reckon Pentax is the best dslr for under 1K because for $1K :

- 4x AA batts. indispensible when you are on the road travelling. AA rechargbs are cheap.

- SD card . the virtues of this dosnt need to be told.

- The ability to 'transform' EXCELLENT quality vintage lenses into modern use with shake reduction & focus confirmation functionality.

- The pentax K mount (& M42 mount) is one of the mounts that is defacto standard from alternative lens makers like russian Zenitar and Rubinar.

The only downside i can think of is that it has kept its sensors at 6MP until the K10, which breaks that $1k budget.

sho33y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:01 PM   #19
TDN

sho33y wrote:
Quote:
I've been eyeying some AF tele converters that grant manual lenses auto focusing.
wah?

I think whoever is trying to sell you those is either after your wallet or needs a checkup...

AF tele converters will preserve the AF of an AF-supporting lens, but will by no means transform a manual focus lens into an AF lens, that's impossible.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:39 PM   #20

Yes. There is one. Very expensive too. I was bidding on a Pentax 1.7x Af TC the last one was sold at ebay at over $360.

TDN wrote: [/b]

Quote:
sho33y wrote:
Quote:
I've been eyeying some AF tele converters that grant manual lenses auto focusing.
wah?

I think whoever is trying to sell you those is either after your wallet or needs a checkup...

AF tele converters will preserve the AF of an AF-supporting lens, but will by no means transform a manual focus lens into an AF lens, that's impossible.