Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:01 PM   #31

Thanks Daniel + Oreo, It all makes sense now.

On the topic of the 50mm lenses, I took this with my M 1.7

I recently bought the 50mm A 1.4, can't wait to give that a try
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:15 AM   #32

Your shot is amazing. Her smile is so sweet. Is she in love? And who is the lucky fellow?
In terms of bang for the buck, I doubt if anything (incl Canon+Nikon) can beat M50mm1.7. For brand new one that people can buy, FA50mm1.4 is probably the crown. BTW you may qualify to be in LBA if you are shopping for another A50mm.
Avoid A50mm F2 though which is of a different category .

Daniel

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Daniel + Oreo, It all makes sense now.

On the topic of the 50mm lenses, I took this with my M 1.7

I recently bought the 50mm A 1.4, can't wait to give that a try
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:21 PM   #33

I have the Tamron/Kenko Mc7 in Ex shape from KEH at around $70. A decent teleconverter indeed. I used that a lot with my FA135mm2.8 which gave me almost 300mm . After I have got a 300mm prime, I have hardly used it.
The Pentax has better reputation and very very hard to find indeed.
I did a shoot-out test between FA135 2.8 + Mc7 compared with A*300mm F4 in my pbase site at
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/test
As you can see, the two are really close. It is a good alternative.
But FA135mm 2.8 is known for its super sharpness. And its price has gone up in a year from $120 to $360. It is also very difficult to find too. Unbelievable optics.

Daniel

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
The Kenko 7 element AF teleconverter is around $134 new.
Thank B&H for this photo
Well........... the 1.7x is gone Snooze you lose........

Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:14 PM   #34

I am shooting a friend's wedding this weekend, I will use the DL with Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 lens (less than $1000 total) plus my old Vivitar 285 flash. Inexpensive but definitely too high quality to be called cheap.

BTW Daniel, I am still using the Ischi Minolta X700 screen in my DL, it hasn't been out since I got it (I hate putting that brass spacer back).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Avoid A50mm F2 though which is of a different category .

WHile I agree the 50mm f2.0 isn't of the same quality as the 1.7 or 1.4 When I first bought my DL a couple months back I bid on a bunch of 1.7's and 1.4's only to get outbid each time. I made a bid on an A2.0 and won it brand new for 30 bucks. As a complete amature I think Ive taken some decent shots with it. Of course Im awating my FA 1.4 as I'm ready to upgrade but the 2.0 isn't completely worthless IMHO.

Attached Images

Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:24 PM   #36

And one more taken with the f2.0
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:25 PM   #37

oops double post:-)
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:32 PM   #38

Less than stellar (part. in sharpness) lens in good hands may be a different story. You showed it all.

Daniel
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:01 PM   #39

nadnerb wrote:
That's pretty interesting.
Does anyone know how it works though, I don't even see the usual AF connection for autofocus lenses and can't see how it can focus MF lenses...
I'm not doubting that it works, just interested in how.

Hi nadnerb,

I have 2 of the Pentax F 1.7x Autofocusing Adapters (can't imagine being without one). They focus within the TC as oreo57 said, and will allow MF lenses to AF, and AF lenses will also focus, but only within the TC. With shorter lenses, you just set the focus on the lens for infinity, but on the longer telephotos, you have to "prefocus" the lens to within the focusing range of the TC. There are both advantages and disadvantages to using this TC.

The positives are that it's a very capable TC, with very little image deterioration with a good lens, and the AF is pretty fast as there is very little mass to move in the TC -- also, the "travel" from stop to stop is relatively short so even when "hunting", it doesn't take very long.

The negatives are --- you have to have pretty fast lenses for it to work reliably -- the recommendation is to use faster than f2.8 max aperture lenses -- I use mine mostly with my FA*300/4.5 on light overcast to sunny days. If the light gets too low, I just manually focus (as you'd have to do even with a pass thru AF TC) --- and the "prefocus" methodology that you have to use if the TC doesn't have the focusing range that you need for the particular lens that you are using. In practice, I found this to be a non-issue, as turning the focus ring to get it "close" becomes natural pretty quickly. It's also become pretty pricey recently, but IMO, worth it.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:25 AM   #40

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I am shooting a friend's wedding this weekend, I will use the DL with Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 lens (less than $1000 total) plus my old Vivitar 285 flash. Inexpensive but definitely too high quality to be called cheap.

BTW Daniel, I am still using the Ischi Minolta X700 screen in my DL, it hasn't been out since I got it (I hate putting that brass spacer back).

Ira
I wish I had those photo opt (sort of) as I am not professional enough. The Sigma lens really shines as shown in your pix. (again a very versative, inexpensive and superb combo with DL)

I am still using the split focus screen in DL. Proven to be invaluable to my retirement age eyesight .

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/66961942/original

This was done with FA100mm2.8 with DL and the split screen . Very precise.

The combo DL plus FA100 2.8 is around $1,000

Majority of the time I have Zenitar on my DL now and there is not much need for focus given its ample DoF. Hehehehe :-):-)

Daniel