Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1

I been looking for a nice prime 50mm AF lense for about 2 months now. I really like the Pentax 50mm 1.4 but everywhere seems to be out of stock on them right now and I dont know if Pentax are planning to make anymore. Since I can not get the Pentax 1.4, I was looking at other prime lense to buy.

The lense that I came across from is the Sigma 50mm 2.8 EX macro. I do not think that this is the DG version because it does not list it. I am able to get this lense for about $150 in mint condition. The macro is a nice plus to this lense but it is not really needed because I already have the sigma 28-200mm apo macro lense.

The price for that sigma lense looks very good because most place are selling it for about $250-300.

I have a few questions that I want to ask

How good of a quality is that Sigma lense? I am not sure of the picture quality of this lense.

What does the EX means on the sigma lense? Is the EX a higher line or special lense or is it their entry level line.

Since I already have macro on my other sigma 28-200mm, will the macro be better on the prime 50mm lense?

Is f/2.8 good enough for low light indoors shot? I am looking for a prime lense that will give me a good low light indoor performance because this January I will be going to an event that will be taking place indoors. Most of the pictures that I take will be 2-5 feet away and no tripod/flash.

Should I just wait for the Pentax 50mm 1.4 because it is a lot better unit.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:59 PM   #2

Just a quick input here. If you are going to be shooting indoors with no flash then I would say that f2.8 is too slow, and you would be better off getting a f1.4 or f1.7.

Have you considered a manual 50mm lens? I bought aPentax 50mm f1.7 that works fine. Autofocus is nice, but... this lens is easier to find and a lot cheaper.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:13 PM   #3

Yes I have considered a manual lense, in fact I have the Pentax SMC-M 50mm 1.7. It is a very sharp lense but I am not that good in using a manual focus. Most of my pictures comes out out of focus. I think part of the reason is because I wear glass and I been doing doing photography for about a year and a half.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:28 PM   #4

I also wear glasses, which is why I changed the focussing screen to a split-screen one. It does help, but not as fast as autofocus.

I would still wait for the f1.4 rather than the f2.8.

Darren
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:33 PM   #5

split screen?

Thanks for you input. Does anyone know the status of the Pentax 50mm 1.4 if they will make anymore or will they move on the the DG version of it?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:41 PM   #6

Split-screen is a different style of focussing screen.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Darren
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:46 PM   #7

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
split screen?

Thanks for you input. Does anyone know the status of the Pentax 50mm 1.4 if they will make anymore or will they move on the the DG version of it?

I don't know about production, but I just ordered one from my local camera store and while it's on backorder, they assure me they WILL get one and it should only be a couple weeks.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:59 PM   #8

I hope what you said is true. I just thought that Pentax was clearing out all the non digital lense to make room for whenever they make there digital version of it. I do not know if this is true or not but it seems like it. But if they just cant keep up with supply and demands, then great, I will wait for it since the rebate does not expire until next year.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:21 PM   #9

the EX range are the higher quality Sigma lenses - and the 50mm 2.8 EX macro is fantastic - 1:1 reproduction.

errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:08 AM   #10

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
the EX range are the higher quality Sigma lenses - and the 50mm 2.8 EX macro is fantastic - 1:1 reproduction.

The 1:1 macro is good if the lens is bought as a macro lens, however, if bought for low light photography the f2.8 is not so good.

Darren