Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:09 PM   #11

Ditto. If you're going to carry around 3lb's or more of a beast, it'd better perform wide open. Too bad. I thought maybe the Tokina I had was just one bad lemon, but maybe it's an inherent problem. Seems very soft at 2.8. Maybe the Sigma would be a better choice for a quick 80-200 lens. Others seem to get very good results with them....Don

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I'd return it too.

At 2.8 it doesnt seem very impressive, especially if you look at the f8 shot, a lot sharper.
Problem is that this way the benifit of having a fast lens is lost.

Also, if I personally think: If I'm gonna carry around such a heavy beast, it better be worth it.

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:32 PM   #12

email from seller and he will refund my cost. hopefully that means my shipping fees as well. i really wanted this lens but am afraid the hazing will get worse.. oh well.

roy
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:24 PM   #13

I recently bought the AF pro version of this lens - it was delivered today! I actually really like it. It is built like a tank though!I still don't know how to do multiple pictures in one post so the next one will have my first photo from this lens...
Attached Images

Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:25 PM   #14

Here it is - EXIF should still be in there...
Attached Images

Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:49 AM   #15

Hi Roy. Well that was a year and half ago. It was the latest model ATX PRO if I remember correctly. Same model as the one Patang has posted it looks like. Built like a tank, and as about as effective IMHO. Even the guy at B&H that I talked to when returning it said that 3rd party lenses are hit and miss. Some perform ok, while others can really blow. I've had trouble with Sigmas, and Tokinas, but the 2 Tamron products I have are both very satisfactory. Really like their version of the 24-135, and the 1.4 tele extender works very well.......Don.

robar wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Hope you have better luck with that lens than the one I tried Roy. It suffered so badly from CA's up to f/8, there was no reason to keep it. It was the ATX model. Weighed 3 lbs. My 50-200DA blew it away. Maybe I had a bad lens, I don't really know. Kind of turned me off of buying Tokina.........Don
don, was your copy the SD model?? this one is going back. listed as clear glass and it isn't. for what i paid for it i want Ex glass..

roy
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:35 AM   #16

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I'd return it too.

At 2.8 it doesnt seem very impressive, especially if you look at the f8 shot, a lot sharper.
Problem is that this way the benifit of having a fast lens is lost.

Also, if I personally think: If I'm gonna carry around such a heavy beast, it better be worth it.

Roy

I am more impressed with its wide open performance though. But there is no reason that it does not pop out with its F8 shot. Given its condition and wt. not much alternative .

Hope it works out ok with the seller.

BTW how is your hunt for a 400mm prime/zoom? I am shopping for a Pentax Autofocus TC 1.7 without success. No hurry as birdie shot season is over in Toronto.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:46 AM   #17

seller says he will refund all.. guess i'll keep looking. at f2.8 this lens was not too bad with a little PP but i'm worried the haze will increase..

roy