Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:45 PM   #1

just unpacked one. my bag just doubled in weight. this is a huge lens for a 200mm. took a few quickies but have not PPed. that's for later. honey do's right now and it's raining.. full manual lens..

roy
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:57 PM   #2

wow that is huge.

how does it compare size wise with FA* 80-200 2.8?

daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:07 PM   #3

don't know.. would have never bought it if i had the FA*. i was looking for a faster lens to replace my A70-210. if it's not as good at f4 then bye-bye.. it will be hard pressed to do better than the 70-210. hopefully it'll be as sharp as the M80-200 f4.5 which is also a pretty sweet lens.

roy
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:54 PM   #4

Dang, that thing is huge! What would Dr. Freud say about this Roy? :-)

More seriously, I would love to see some sample shots when you are able.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:45 PM   #5

problem with this lens is was listed a ''clear glass'' which was an overstatement. i have taken some test shots but the lens is very cloudy on one side of the objective lens. it does not look like fungus and anyone could could obviously see it. i've tried cleaning it with cloth and lens cleaner and pecpad and eclipse to no avail. i don't know if it will affect images but i would think so when the lens is closed down.. more manana

roy
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:17 AM   #6

Hope you have better luck with that lens than the one I tried Roy. It suffered so badly from CA's up to f/8, there was no reason to keep it. It was the ATX model. Weighed 3 lbs. My 50-200DA blew it away. Maybe I had a bad lens, I don't really know. Kind of turned me off of buying Tokina.........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:08 PM   #7

went out and shot some this morn. some of the pelicans had a lot of CA and others did not. it depended on the angle of the son. this is a nice lens but he never listed the slight for on the lens. i'm waiting for a reply as i mean to return it... here's a f2.8 and f8 shot. one at 1/3000 and the other at 1/750.
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:09 PM   #8

at f8, 1/750
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:30 PM   #9
TDN

I'd return it too.

At 2.8 it doesnt seem very impressive, especially if you look at the f8 shot, a lot sharper.
Problem is that this way the benifit of having a fast lens is lost.

Also, if I personally think: If I'm gonna carry around such a heavy beast, it better be worth it.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:05 PM   #10

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Hope you have better luck with that lens than the one I tried Roy. It suffered so badly from CA's up to f/8, there was no reason to keep it. It was the ATX model. Weighed 3 lbs. My 50-200DA blew it away. Maybe I had a bad lens, I don't really know. Kind of turned me off of buying Tokina.........Don
don, was your copy the SD model?? this one is going back. listed as clear glass and it isn't. for what i paid for it i want Ex glass..

roy