Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:06 AM   #11

Well anything above 2.8 would have underexposed the whole thing. I have maxed out the iso to 800 and 1/25s. Again flash was impossible given that (1) the subjects were 3 ' to 10' deep & (2) glass /mirror were all behind. What was amazing is its performance wide open.

Daniel

Red Royalty wrote:
Quote:
why the f.2.8? wouldent you want to make the aperture smaller so more faces could have been in focus :idea::?
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:20 AM   #12

I have an older Sigma 28mm 2.8 lens (my lone prime from my K1000 days) that I sometimes use on my DL. It's pretty nice although for a while, the DL wouldn't go any lower than a 4 f-stop unless I set it the aperture ring by hand and used the custom menu to allow manual aperture changes. Right when I was going to ask if anyone else had seen such a problem, it began working properly and works fine now.

My only problem is that it seems to underexpose a bit - but I haven't used it enough to tell for how much of that is my fault. I'm guessing that a bit of it is.

The only downside is that the manual focus is a bit tricky without some kind of aid like the split-prism. I know it beeps when it thinks I'm in focus but I still don't trust that 100%. I'd probably prefer to have an autofocus even though I do like manual a lot, but there are times (like the shot here) where AF is a necessity, especially at 2.8. I have no idea what my lens is worth - if I thought it was worth something, I might consider ebaying it and putting it towards a 50mm 1.4 then an AF 28mm 2.8.

Or maybe I should just buy a new focusing screen and pick up a manual-focus 50mm as well? Decisions decisions!

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:28 AM   #13

jacks wrote:
Quote:
This is an impossible shot to take properly without a good flash. To have all the people in focus you would need to stop down to around f8 and then the shutter speed would be too slow even for seated people so a tripod would be no help. Only an iso in the ten thousand region would work here!
Having said that, the SR system did a pretty good job and this shot is not too bad at all.
The end of the table looks well within flash range, even for a weak, built-in flash. Are you sure you couldn't have used it?

With that glass/mirror all at the back, flash could only make it worse. Also with a good good (= powerful ) flash, you can only white out (=overexpose) the front subject and black out (=underexpose) the rear subject. The subject distance is around 3' to 10' from the flash.

The likely result may look like this:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=80752

If not for the mirror/glass background (actually fish tank), a powerful bounce flash might be a good choice.

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/69298961/original

Given the circumstance of the waitress taking the shot while I was stuck at the far end of the table, no way.

Daniel

Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:27 AM   #14

You may have a very minor issue of contact problem which screws up the the communication between the lens and camera.
Examine the contacts of the lens (DL is lesser of a culprit as it is relatively new), clean it and try if the problem goes away. Sigma 28mm 2.8 is a superb lens from what I heard.

Daniel

Damfino wrote:
Quote:
I have an older Sigma 28mm 2.8 lens (my lone prime from my K1000 days) that I sometimes use on my DL. It's pretty nice although for a while, the DL wouldn't go any lower than a 4 f-stop unless I set it the aperture ring by hand and used the custom menu to allow manual aperture changes. Right when I was going to ask if anyone else had seen such a problem, it began working properly and works fine now.

My only problem is that it seems to underexpose a bit - but I haven't used it enough to tell for how much of that is my fault. I'm guessing that a bit of it is.