Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:18 PM   #1

I was trying to find one lens (and all its custom setting) that will be my main lens for indoor gethering. Here is a pix of K100D and FA28mm 2.8 in a difficult lighting situation.
A restaurant with both fluorescent and tungsten lights . Of course, no flash was possible for such long row of subject on a dinner table.
I maxed out on the aperture at 2.8. Set to 1/25s and iso 800. As you can see I was stuck almost at the lend of the table. I knew I would have the waitress to take the pix so I set it to 1/25s and I believed that the SR would take care of the little shake she might make. I was right to a point.

She did well but somehow she had me as the center which resulted in the image of first two persons slightly out of focus.
What can I say?
Otherwise (if she focused on the 3rd person), it would have been a perfect indoor shot with all the subject in focus.
Again its total cost incl K100D plus the lens (total around $900).

Daniel
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:25 PM   #2

That turned out nice! The funny part of that photo is that I can almost read your mind by your expression. Everyone else is just smiling for the photo, but you're thinking, "I hope she's holding my camera correctly. I hope those settings work. Maybe I should have used ISO 400." :lol:
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:33 PM   #3

I think he's thinking..........Please don't drop my camera, please don't drop my camera! :-)

Nice shot daniel. I might have to look into a 28mm 2.8 Right now I'm waiting on a 50mm 1.4 AF to come in but this shot has me interested in the wider angle lens. LBA is something isn't it? :-)
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:37 PM   #4

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
That turned out nice! The funny part of that photo is that I can almost read your mind by your expression. Everyone else is just smiling for the photo, but you're thinking, "I hope she's holding my camera correctly. I hope those settings work. Maybe I should have used ISO 400." :lol:

You are right. The pix tells a lot better than a thousand words. Actually I would not and could not go for 400. I went for shutter priority of 1/25s.The lens was wide open at 2.8 - a real beauty of the lens.

Yes . The waitress asked why the lcd would not show the view . It took me a little while to guide her to usethe real viewfinder.

Afterall she had my baby in her hand

Daniel
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:52 PM   #5

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
I think he's thinking..........Please don't drop my camera, please don't drop my camera! :-)

Nice shot daniel. I might have to look into a 28mm 2.8 Right now I'm waiting on a 50mm 1.4 AF to come in but this shot has me interested in the wider angle lens. LBA is something isn't it? :-)
I don't think you mind manual lens. If you have chance get M28mm 3.5 which is just 1/2 stopbehind that of 2.8 . But it is sharp even at 3.5. I missed it (particularly the apert and focus ring) after selling it. One of the neglected dirt cheap gems of Pentax.
Full pix of the next onethe waitress took

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/69298961/original

Daniel

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:58 PM   #6

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
She did well but somehow she had me as the center
She was checking you out man!

I have read very good things about the Vivitar/Kiron 28mm f2.0 lens. I received one I "won" on ebay but, unfortunately, the aperture blades are oily and very slow. I thought about sending it back but I have decided to send it off for repair. Yours looks like a very nice lens Daniel, maybe I should have held out for one of those.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:07 PM   #7

Daniel - really like this picture, the waitress probably thought you wanted to be the center, since it's your camera. The lens is quite sharp.

Tim - Let me know how you do with repairing your Kiron lens - if it isn't too expensive I might think about fixing my 80-200. It's not as good a lens as your 28, but I just hate tossing it out, and I won't sell it to anyone in its current condition.

For anyone thinking about a wide angle, fast lens - I have a SMC M 24mm 2.8 that does better with the digital camera than it did on a film camera. I bought it but hardly ever used it - on a film camera there's too much barreling for me. On the other hand, there's very little with the K100D. It might be a cheaper alternative, and like the 28mm lens, it is very sharp.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:34 AM   #8

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
S I received one I "won" on ebay but, unfortunately, the aperture blades are oily and very slow. I thought about sending it back but I have decided to send it off for repair. Yours looks like a very nice lens Daniel, maybe I should have held out for one of those.

Tim
Blades problem is workable. Let me check out some web pages detailing how to do that. Fungus growth is entirely different story.

Daniel
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:59 AM   #9

why the f.2.8? wouldent you want to make the aperture smaller so more faces could have been in focus :idea::?
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:46 AM   #10

This is an impossible shot to take properly without a good flash. To have all the people in focus you would need to stop down to around f8 and then the shutter speed would be too slow even for seated people so a tripod would be no help. Only an iso in the ten thousand region would work here!
Having said that, the SR system did a pretty good job and this shot is not too bad at all.
The end of the table looks well within flash range, even for a weak, built-in flash. Are you sure you couldn't have used it?
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote