Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1

I am not much into bird photography at all (except Hummingbirds) but a short while ago I had a woodpecker trying to eat the fruits on a Cirrus cactus in my front yard. After I had set all my equipment up I had to wait quite a while for it to come back. Unfortunately the sun had gone away and it was getting ready to rain. All images were taken with the Vivitar 120-600mm through a (dirty :O) double pane window.

I was hoping to redo this the next day with some better light, but the fruits fell off that day and I haven't seen that woodpecker again.

BTW - the reason why the colors are looking somewhat different: I was trying out different RAW converters (Pentx Lab, RS and SilkyPix).

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:57 PM   #2

Fantastic shots!!!

If you hadn't have said about the dirty window, no one would have known.

What equipment did you have to set up?

I would love to take shots this.

Enough fawning :G

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:18 PM   #3

Gee another amazing series of your birdie shots. All are superb and the 3rd is phenomenal.
What did you do to your window glasss? You had them multi-coated too huh?

Daniel

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
I am not much into bird photography at all (except Hummingbirds) but a short while ago I had a woodpecker trying to eat the fruits on a Cirrus cactus in my front yard. After I had set all my equipment up I had to wait quite a while for it to come back. Unfortunately the sun had gone away and it was getting ready to rain. All images were taken with the Vivitar 120-600mm through a (dirty :O) double pane window.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:47 PM   #4

great shots will!!your great seasonal winter is about to begin. wish i were there.

have you ever driven out to Castle Hotsprings?? great shots along the way.

roy
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:48 PM   #5

strange, exif says a DL.. have you bought another body??

roy
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:54 PM   #6

Thanks Roy. Been to Castle Hotsprings many years ago. Almost can't remember. Maybe a good Idea to go there again....
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:58 PM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
strange, exif says a DL.. have you bought another body??

roy

Yes it is the DL. I bought that one in July to take with me on my Austrian Trip. Got one smoking deal from Willoughby's (299 with 18/55mm) and couldn't resist.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:03 PM   #8

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Gee another amazing series of your birdie shots. All are superb and the 3rd is phenomenal.
What did you do to your window glasss? You had them multi-coated too huh?

Daniel

The DOF of this lens is so incredibly small it basically dissolves everything close to the front element. I could have held my hand in front of itand it would be invisible :lol:.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:09 PM   #9

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Roy. Been to Castle Hotsprings many years ago. Almost can't remember. Maybe a good Idea to go there again....
Caution!!!
Road in riverbed next 3 miles..... i'd hate to be there if a quick rainfall came up..

roy
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:11 PM   #10

Hi Hogrider,

Great shots!!!! The color and detail are definitely top notch especially considering the lighting conditions and the window. I would have nailed or glued the fruits back on the cactus to see if I could get more shots the next day -- maybe not the "purist" approach, but I've never been what anyone would call pure, so . . .

I'm just glad that this lens is so big and heavy, or I'd have to add it to the "list" . . .:?

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote