Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
HogRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Default

I am not much into bird photography at all (except Hummingbirds) but a short while ago I had a woodpecker trying to eat the fruits on a Cirrus cactus in my front yard. After I had set all my equipment up I had to wait quite a while for it to come back. Unfortunately the sun had gone away and it was getting ready to rain. All images were taken with the Vivitar 120-600mm through a (dirty :O) double pane window.

I was hoping to redo this the next day with some better light, but the fruits fell off that day and I haven't seen that woodpecker again.

BTW - the reason why the colors are looking somewhat different: I was trying out different RAW converters (Pentx Lab, RS and SilkyPix).










HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

Fantastic shots!!!

If you hadn't have said about the dirty window, no one would have known.

What equipment did you have to set up?

I would love to take shots this.

Enough fawning :G



Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,888
Default

Gee another amazing series of your birdie shots. All are superb and the 3rd is phenomenal.
What did you do to your window glasss? You had them multi-coated too huh?

Daniel

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
I am not much into bird photography at all (except Hummingbirds) but a short while ago I had a woodpecker trying to eat the fruits on a Cirrus cactus in my front yard. After I had set all my equipment up I had to wait quite a while for it to come back. Unfortunately the sun had gone away and it was getting ready to rain. All images were taken with the Vivitar 120-600mm through a (dirty :O) double pane window.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:47 PM   #4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

great shots will!!your great seasonal winter is about to begin. wish i were there.

have you ever driven out to Castle Hotsprings?? great shots along the way.

roy
  Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:48 PM   #5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

strange, exif says a DL.. have you bought another body??

roy
  Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
HogRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Default

Thanks Roy. Been to Castle Hotsprings many years ago. Almost can't remember. Maybe a good Idea to go there again....
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
HogRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Default

robar wrote:
Quote:
strange, exif says a DL.. have you bought another body??

roy

Yes it is the DL. I bought that one in July to take with me on my Austrian Trip. Got one smoking deal from Willoughby's (299 with 18/55mm) and couldn't resist.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
HogRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Gee another amazing series of your birdie shots. All are superb and the 3rd is phenomenal.
What did you do to your window glasss? You had them multi-coated too huh?

Daniel


The DOF of this lens is so incredibly small it basically dissolves everything close to the front element. I could have held my hand in front of itand it would be invisible :lol:.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:09 PM   #9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Roy. Been to Castle Hotsprings many years ago. Almost can't remember. Maybe a good Idea to go there again....
Caution!!!
Road in riverbed next 3 miles..... i'd hate to be there if a quick rainfall came up..

roy
  Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Hi Hogrider,

Great shots!!!! The color and detail are definitely top notch especially considering the lighting conditions and the window. I would have nailed or glued the fruits back on the cactus to see if I could get more shots the next day -- maybe not the "purist" approach, but I've never been what anyone would call pure, so . . .

I'm just glad that this lens is so big and heavy, or I'd have to add it to the "list" . . .:?


Scott


snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:52 AM.