Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:12 PM   #1

I just purchased a pentax k100. I got the kit so that I could use the camera immedietly while deciding on which lenses to buy. I want one good quality lens that is going to be versatile. I also want to get a quality zoom lens for nature and wildlife shots. So who makes good lenses? Should I just stick with pentax? Or what about sigma and tamron? I want to get the all around lens 1st and have $300-$500 to spend. I know that you shouldn't skimp on glass and I want something pretty high quality.
fallenleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:43 PM   #2

since you have the kit lens, my advice would be to get the smc 50-200 DA. about 200usd. use these 2 lenses for awhile to see where you are shooting most of your shots. ie: wide angle or telephoto. when you discover your range, then concentrate on which lenses you want to compliment those you have..

roy
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:44 PM   #3

The Pentax DA lenses have been proven to be good if not very good lenses so far. The sigma APO and EX lenses have given me excellent photos so far. Personally, I'd try to stay away from the non APO/EX Sigma lenses. I find that the AF is poor under low lighting and the image quality is mediocre at best.

These are based on my own experiences. Other's may tell you otherwise.
jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:31 PM   #4

I'll second getting the DA 50-200 next (I did). It's a pretty good lens for the money (not brilliant, but good). I used those 2 lenses (kit and 50-200)for a while, and played around with some old lenses I bought 20-25 years ago. After a while I figured out what those lenses do best, and what they can't do (macro being high on my list of priorities). Some people find that these lenses will do everything they want, others will decide that they lack some capability. It all depends on what you end up liking to do.

The DA 50-200 has become my walk-around lens and I probably use it the most. But now I also have a 100mm macro and an A* 300mm f4 lens that is really outstanding (if you don't mind being at least 8 feet away from your subject), and use them whenever the situation dictates it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:54 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
(if you don't mind being at least 8 feet away from your subject), and use them whenever the situation dictates it.
harriet,
don't you mean 13 feet??

roy
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:27 PM   #6

Talking lenses is always a popular thing and I have decided to sell all my old M42 lenses (4 in all) and get a DA 50-200mm to go along with the kit lens. I have bought a Pentax M 50mm F1.7 prime and am going to also get a M 28mm F2.8prime. The reason I went with the M lens is simple. I spent a lot of years using manual lenses and the M lenses let me focus wide open and also use the depth of field preview lever. Two important things I couldn't do with the screw mounts, plus I don't need to use the adapter.

That way when I feel I need the sharpness of a prime, I have it and the versitility of a zoom, I have that covered too. Anyway, I hope to have this all done in the next couple of weeks. My M42's are on Ebay right now. I'm one of those guys that doesn't need all the auto stuff to be happy, but if I change my mind the DA's have me covered. I have seen such good images with the 50-200mm and with the new rebate it is a real bargin to be able to shoot at 306mm. Besides Harriet has put up some pretty good prictures with hers- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:22 PM   #7

this is a lens i picked up second hand, less than $100 au

i dont know how it compares to the other lenses mentioned, but i like it

http://www.photographyreview.com/sf-...eviewscrx.aspx
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:51 PM   #8

Is it really 13 feet? It probably is - I'm terrible when it comes to distances. Now that you mention it, 13 feet is probably more accurate. What threw me far more than the minimum distance was the fact I could be across the street and couldn't just set the focus to infinity and have it focused right.

Also, I've tried to take a picture of something that is close to a mile away, across a number of roof-tops, belonging to restaurants as well as a movie theater ortwo,stores etc. The couple of times I've tried to take pictures of the outdoor light posts leading to a particular building (under construction) the lines have been wavy. I know it isn't the lens, so I guess there's something going on with the atmospherics - another thing to think about!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:01 AM   #9

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
this is a lens i picked up second hand, less than $100 au

i dont know how it compares to the other lenses mentioned, but i like it

http://www.photographyreview.com/sf-...eviewscrx.aspx
this also would work..

roy
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:50 AM   #10

fallenleafs wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a pentax k100. I got the kit so that I could use the camera immedietly while deciding on which lenses to buy. I want one good quality lens that is going to be versatile. I also want to get a quality zoom lens for nature and wildlife shots. So who makes good lenses? Should I just stick with pentax? Or what about sigma and tamron? I want to get the all around lens 1st and have $300-$500 to spend. I know that you shouldn't skimp on glass and I want something pretty high quality.
For nature and wildlife shots, I recommend that you should get very long prime at least from 300mm and onwards and do acquire a 1.4 or 2X teleconvertor. Things are often not at reach for these shootings.

Typical shorter telezooms are too short and too slow for the purpose, IMHO. But they are a good starter lens for the price.

I have a F*300/4.5 and have been quite satisfied with its optical quality. Stick with older Pentax F and FA optics and you will not be wrong for getting most of them. I don't have any good impression for 3rd party lenses as my experience told me that they are of lower classes in terms of optical characteristics, for most of the time.

But I don't know why, latest Pentax optics really felt like 3rd party lenses in optical characters for quite some lens models I used, I did report this long time ago for this, even before Pentax's annoucement on their deal with Tokina. A more solid example is that my D-FA 100 Macro is very sharp and of extremely high resolution, but it just like a Tamron in terms of the way it produces color and the sharpness and also contrast of an image, which I don't like, that is, if I want a Tamron, i simply get one at a lower price!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote