Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:20 PM   #1

Hello !

Yesterday I had a very interesting conversation with a salesperson at Teds, Melbourne, Australia. They didn't have a lot of customers, so the lady gave me a lot of interesting hints about their cameras. Ultimately I intended to buy Sony A1 this Christmas. I had read a lot of reviews and feedbacks and I found that Sony was the most suitable camera for my needs. But after the yesterday conversation I have probably changed my mind. The new Pentax 10D will be here maximum in 2 weeks time and the price for its body only is AUS$1260 (around US$950). It comes with a few different basic one or two lenses kits. As a newcomer in DSR photography, I have no idea with lens is the most suitable for me. But as for the body, the salesperson definitely reckoned that the Pentax 10D would be a better choice for me then Sony A1. So, I still 75% go for Pentax and 25% for Sony !? Could anyone increase or decrease these percentages ? Probably a lot of people here are waiting for Pentax 10D as well and they will be very interested to get the answer from our experts.

Thanks !
Anatoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:10 PM   #2

When I read the reviews and view the photo samples, the latest pentax dslr--k100d--has cleaner high iso pictures and with good detail, when compared to the sony. Also I feel that the k100 has better highlight resolution, meaning less clipping than the
sony. So that fact alone would encourage me to wait and see how the k10
turns out. I have only been researching the digitals for a little over a year, and I have just read a great article that explains
that the lighter colors and highlights carry half of the available digital information.
So I presume from that fact, anyone wanting to process raw files would want a
camera that has a lot of range in the lights and highlights. Something canon is
known for, but review sample comparisons show that the latest pentax handles highlights as well as or better than some of the other brands in it's category.
To be fair, a sony user would have a valuable perspective. Goodluck, chacha.

chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:12 PM   #3

When I read the reviews and view the photo samples, the latest pentax dslr--k100d--has cleaner high iso pictures and with good detail, when compared to the sony. Also I feel that the k100 has better highlight resolution, meaning less clipping than the
sony. So that fact alone would encourage me to wait and see how the k10
turns out. I have only been researching the digitals for a little over a year, but
I have tried to be very thorough and I have just read a great article that explains
why the lighter colors and highlights carry half of the available digital information.
So I presume from that fact, anyone wanting to process raw files would want a
camera that has a lot of range in the lights and highlights. Something canon is
known for, but my comparisons show that the latest pentax handles highlights
as well as or better than some of the other brands in it's category.

chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:04 PM   #4

Anatoli,
I believe there are a lot of us waiting for the K10d, and I only bought my K100 a few months ago! However, I don't know how to persuade you towards a camera that has not been released yet. I want to see some user feedback and balanced reviews before I put my own money down OR hold it in my hands and take some pictures myself to see how I ilke it. I can tell you that I chose the K100d over the Sony Alpha in part because of all the user complaints about it. However, from reading comments about the camera before it was released it appeared there were a lot of Minolta fans who wanted to hate the Sony even before they saw one.

If you have access to them in a camera store take a memory card in and play with them both. Look at the pics on your computer or get them printed. Decide which features are most important to you and which limitations you can accept. I think, in the end, I would have been happy with any Dslr I chose, the joy for me is learning something new and being able to take pictures that I was never able to take before.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:09 PM   #5

I would bet nobody (commercially speaking) gets a k10 before Nov. 20th.(Japan release date)........

There's a very interesting post here regarding the quality. Note the cameras STILL have Beta firmware.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20633667
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:53 PM   #6

The K10D won't be released until Nov 30th in Japan, so we won't see any in Australia for some time after that.

I'm not keen on buying a camera that is in the first rushed production run. I don't have a dSLR at the moment - but I've started buying lenses on eBay in anticipation of the K10D.

I'm thinking of buying a K100D now, then in 6 months selling it on eBay and buying a K10D when the bugs have been ironed out and the prices have dropped. Keep in mind that software upgrades won't upgrade the hardware to the improvements they eventually come up with after a while.

Mike R
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:54 PM   #7

If you read the reviews and compare the test photos, it is very clear that the Sony 100 has higher noise at high ISO compared with the Canon 400D or the Nikon D80.

Mike R
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:49 PM   #8

how about 24,000,000 compatible lenses?? i just purchased one that's 30+ years old and it's remarkable..

roy