Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:14 PM   #11

Roy - that's not a lens, that's a telescope! Don't think you'll be hiking very far with that, will you? Wow!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:38 AM   #12

Screw- or K-mount? Auto- or manual stop-down?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:00 AM   #13

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Screw- or K-mount? Auto- or manual stop-down?

Kjell
K mount but notaperture coupled so it's strictly a manual lens. the mount is easily removable so it can be changed to any other mount. the place i got it had another non-smc in nikon mount for about 200usd less. where you would get the custom mount i have no idea but they were made at one time. aperture ranges from f4.5 - f45.

roy
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:58 AM   #14
TDN

Wow, what a canon! I pity those poor birdies you're going to blast away with that thing :-)

Looks fun to play around with though.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:40 AM   #15

robar wrote:
Quote:
just purchased a Takumar SMC 500mm f4.5 from a local used camera store for a song and it's too windy here today to use it. guess my quest for reach is over for awhile..

roy
Man is that thing huge, your camera looks like a digicam on the end of it. I am interested in your impressions and some sample photos when you are able. Are you planning on trying it with a teleconvertor? A 2x TC and that lens ought to give you some great mooon shots.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:00 AM   #16

Congratulations on that lens Roy. Can't wait to see some images from it!
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:49 PM   #17

WOW!!! i am impressed. went out to the pelican pad for some tests. kicked myself in the butt for forgetting the cable release. from the looks of these i didn't need it. used 2sec delay. these three shots were of the same bird. i did auto levels and a tad smart sharpen to them cropped about 50% and resized..

all from about 40-43 meters
this is the f4.5 shot, not shabby at all. very usable image. i could make it much better spending more time in PP but i wanted these 3 to be as close as possible for your critique. i think it's pretty good for a wide open shot.

f8 - wow , what a difference

f11 - and i almost feel out of the chair. the smart sharpen did next to nothing to the feathers that i could see. it did sharpen the water somewhat. i really did not need to use it at all.

what do you think?? it's a hard lens to use but i think i'm going to use it quite a bit. i'll try a mono next time.

now i'll do one the way i like with PP.

roy

Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:08 PM   #18

robar wrote:
Quote:
WOW!!! i am impressed. went out to the pelican pad for some tests. kicked myself in the butt for forgetting the cable release. from the looks of these i didn't need it. used 2sec delay. these three shots were of the same bird. i did auto levels and a tad smart sharpen to them cropped about 50% and resized..

all from about 40-43 meters
this is the f4.5 shot, not shabby at all. very usable image. i could make it much better spending more time in PP but i wanted these 3 to be as close as possible for your critique. i think it's pretty good for a wide open shot.

f8 - wow , what a difference

f11 - and i almost feel out of the chair. the smart sharpen did next to nothing to the feathers that i could see. it did sharpen the water somewhat. i really did not need to use it at all.

what do you think?? it's a hard lens to use but i think i'm going to use it quite a bit. i'll try a mono next time.

now i'll do one the way i like with PP.

roy

Roy,

Congratulation.

Gee very impressive if you can handle the wt. Definitely a keeper and your search of a serious tele is over.

Most airline will mistake it as a launcher for a RPG though.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:35 PM   #19
TDN

Very impressive results indeed!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:39 PM   #20

that they might daniel. is it you or kjell that has the 600 f4?? this is bad enough, i can imagine what the 600 is like. glad i kepy the large POS ball head i have as it seems to do well with this lens. tried a pan/tilt and it was a royal PITA. i'd assume a better head, pan/tilt, would make a difference. my tripod seems to do a good job also.. only had it at 1/2 height tho.

Oh, the 300 is still excellent at f4. can't forget it.

roy
Attached Images