Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:24 PM   #21

Roy,

Great lens. This is Dallas. If you aren't going to use it when it's windy, you'll just have to admire how well it's made and keep it on display. (Sort of like waiting for a bright sunny day in New England from about now till early spring.)

Larry on Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:17 PM   #22

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
Roy,

Great lens. This is Dallas. If you aren't going to use it when it's windy, you'll just have to admire how well it's made and keep it on display. (Sort of like waiting for a bright sunny day in New England from about now till early spring.)

Larry on Dallas
larry, boy don't we know that this is dallas. they call chicago the windy city but i've read stats that dallas is 15% more windier. i was pulling a trailor today and was real happy to get home.... this is a tough lens to use but the results are great. i need more experience with it. the ap ring is forward of the focus ring and that really throws me off. took it out this afternoon on a monopod just to see if i could use it .. i have to have at least 1 more place for support in order to. what part of dallas are you in??

roy
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:00 PM   #23

Roy, would you please send some of those pelicans over my way. The only birds I have around here at sparrows, starlings and the occasional duck. I would really like to capture a "Parson Bird" which is the NZ Tui. They are around here but only pause for a few seconds while feeding, they dont like resting in sunlight and spend most of their non-feeding time in the higher parts of trees. Understandable I suppose when strange be-wiskered folk are trying to point monster lenses at them!
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:05 AM   #24

wow john????
how on earth do you know i have whiskers???? you being in NZ.. don't remember posting a pic.

roy
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:06 PM   #25

Roy, I thought everyone had wiskers, least they do in our family! :lol:
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:47 PM   #26

after using this for awhile i noticed that the focusing module on it wobbled a little. seems to be a common prob as i founld a site that had good instuctions on how to FIY. prob was that you have to take the focus helical out and it can be a bear getting it back together properly. i took it down to the local we fix photo stuff to let them do it. he said call in a couple of days. 3hours later i got the call - it was ready. wow, total cost 97us. he tightened the 3 screws and completely dismantled the lens for a thorough cleaning and lube. now what little dust was in it is gone and all is well. the glass on this lens is so pristine you can barely see it.. B&H lists this lens for 2300+usd so for less than 25% i've got one..

roy
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:18 PM   #27

Thats great Roy, I really like to see someone take something that is not new and restore it to new condition!
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:24 PM   #28

Is this the grandfather of your lens Roy?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=75720590

$200 NZ is about $133 US.

Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:30 PM   #29

i think it is. i also think there is one on ebay just like it. there are 2 on ebay now. not sure if they are multi-coated..

roy
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:32 AM   #30

I have the M42 version of Roys new lens and they are exactly the same except for the rear section (where 49mm filters mount) and it is a fast lens even by todays standards and it is also one of the sharpest 500mm lenses that is affordable.

It is also very large and heavy, which makes it a lens you really have to want to use to take with you and you need a very heavy tripod to use it properly, and some even use two tripods, one on the lens and one on the camrea body.

I took mine apart many years ago and it was actually fairly easy to tighten up the screws and get it back together again. I got mine in 1969 and it is still going strong.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote