Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:22 AM   #41

lzzap wrote:
Quote:
My loose barrel was the f-stop. This tightens externally.

that's great

If you know this lens I have a question? Web sites I have visited say the

rear barrel removes for a filter. Does mine? There seems to be a bayonet

grasp ring 2 & 3, turn ring 3 counter clockwise, this will loosen it's grip on ring 2. ring 2 has a bayonet fitting that will release when it aligns with the openings on ring 3. lift out ring 1 & 2. filters will screw into the bottom of ring 2. either 49mm(mine) or 52mm , later version.
arrangement in back, but it will not budge, no matter how hard I try. Do

you know how to insert filters on this?

Another question: some web sites suggest this lens is also useable on

medium format Pentax cams with a replacement rear section. True?

not sure but i know there are other makers mounts out there. place i got mine had an uncoated like toms in nikon mount. i asked them where i could get anothe mount and they said they had been looking for at least a year for one..
Quote:
roy

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:24 AM   #42

ring 2 will come off ring 1 but i can't figure out why..it just seems to be an extra ring.

roy
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:16 PM   #43

i figure this would be a good thread to ask this question.

i just got my vivitar f5.6 400mm lens from adorama that i got on ebay last week. I set it up in our house (the weather hasn't been nice) and shot across the room to check sharpness at different apertures. The lens is obviously fully manual, so i'm adjusting the aperture on the lens, then using the ae-lock button method to meter for the correct shutter speed. this works from f5.6 to f11, but at any f-stop past f11 (it goes to f32) the camera doesn't take a reading. the lens itself is stopping down correctly, because the images are obviously getting darker; basically the camera isn't metering for a correct shutter speed. any suggestions as to why that is happening and how it might be fixed? its a small problem and i doubt i'll ever stop it down that far anyways, but i'm still curious! Thanks for responses in advance!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:35 PM   #44

it's probably too dark for the meter to register. point it at a light source
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:50 AM   #45

robar wrote:
Quote:
it's probably too dark for the meter to register. point it at a light source
i didn't know that could happen, and yes it was getting pretty dark - the metered exposures were already getting to over a second! thanks for the input, i'm looking forward to getting outside with this lens!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:59 PM   #46

I see. Note: after leaning on this lens I found a point of separation. This was
between what the pix says is ring #3. If you unscrew three 2 and 1 come off
as a unit. I guess the ring was just stuck. Inside of ring #2 is a 49mm filter thread.
No matter how hard I try I cannot separate #2 from #1. They look like separate
units but will not split. The 2-3 separator is nice as you can 'index' the camera
with this a lot easier than spinning the tripod mount. This reminds me of the old Canon breechlock in that an accidental rotation of this ring and your (expensive) SLR falls to the ground. ...regards Larry
lzzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:25 AM   #47

correct larry....
ring 2 will unscrew off of 1, but only the knurled ring will come off. the filters still will screw into the bottom of ring 1. so far i see no reason for ring 2 unless it's just for a grip.

roy
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:16 AM   #48

Thanx for the info. Very interested also in a Pentax eyepiece I heard was made for this. If any leads I would be curious. Finally did a test roll (analog! Fuji film?) with the Tak. Very impressed. First lens I've ever owned where you are still focusing at half a mile range. Also did several hand-helds (ouch!) at 1000 sec successfully. Only issue now is to replace the case with someting a little more practical. Again thank you for the help.
lzzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:46 AM   #49

i got a giottos tripod case for mine. it's about12'' too long but works well as it's padded. at the fold over on the case i can add a couple of extra padded lenses. throw it over the shoulder and it's easy to carry. it's their 32'' model and costs about $35usd.
oh,, the #2 ring will come off. it's really tough tho. why it's there--i have no clue..
roy
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:32 PM   #50

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
i figure this would be a good thread to ask this question.

i just got my vivitar f5.6 400mm lens from adorama that i got on ebay last week. I set it up in our house (the weather hasn't been nice) and shot across the room to check sharpness at different apertures.
I just looked at this thread for the first time. I too picked up a Vivitar 400mm 5.6 a week or two ago, it's an M42 mount, got it from a local camera consignment shop for $89. Hopefully I didn't get TOO ripped off. (I did see some cheap ones on eBay but there's always a risk there.) I also picked up a genuine Pentax M42 adapter for $23.

I haven't tried turning up the F-stop past 11 but I'll try to remember to check that if I see the same issue you have.

My problem now is that my Slik tripod is not stable enough to hold this lens without wobble. I think I might actually be better off with my Bogen monopod and ballhead. At the store, we hooked it to a Bogen tripod and a MASSIVE Slik Pro ballhead and I took this shot, I think it was at f5.6 but it was colorful and sharp enough to convince me to pick it up. (A second test shot of a poster at F8 was noticably sharper, too.) I'm sure that it won't win any awards, but it looks like it could be fun for some occasional long-zoom use.
Attached Images

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote