Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:24 PM   #51

your vivitar has good color. for an inexpensive set of legs i would suggest looking on ebay for a set of dynatron 858 or 828. got mine for a total of 33usd. $18 was shipping.. i'll get you a link.

roy
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:46 PM   #52

That's a terrific swan shot. Very nice.

I had been bidding like crazy on various Dynatran CF monopods and ball heads and finally went and bought a Bogen ball head (I already had an aluminum monopod) at the local college. I did buy an Amvona holster bag - and the damn thing's belt loop fell apart after only 2-3 days of use! Good thing I had it closed up properly and the camera was undamaged. OK - to be fair, the bag was all of 25 cents plus $8 shipping - but that didn't exactly fill me with confidence for the Amvona/Dynatran line. (I'm going to post an official review on my new site soon.) All that is sort of moot as the quickly-growing lens collection means that a belt-mounted holster case just isn't going to work for what I was hoping to use it for in the near term. (Walking around Disney World - where do I put the four unmounted lenses (not counting the monster Vivitar!) when walking around?) I think I'm going to pick up an Op-Tech SOS strap (anyone have one?) for my old boxy Tamrac camera case and just carry that.

Anyway, hopefully the Amvona/Dynatran tripods hold up better than their bags.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:54 PM   #53

you don't HAVE to take all your lenses with you. i've out grown 2 bags already. i use a lowepro ex160 but the cam goes around my neck.

i know alot of people that swear by their op/tek straps

roy
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:26 PM   #54

A couple lenses are staying behind... the current lineup to take is the 18-55 and 50-200 DA lenses and four primes: Zenitar 16mm 2.8, Sigma 28mm 2.8, Pentax 50mm 1.4 (the only AF prime), and Vivitar 400mm 5.6. I can't really see an excuse to cut back on any of them! Each has its role to play.

Except maybe the Sigma - the Zenitar is probably comparable and can be de-fished if desired. But it's such a small lens that it's really not going to make that big of a difference anyway. It doesn't help, though, that I'm going to bring along the K1000 as well, to do a few full 180' fisheye shots with the Zenitar.

I do have the Op-Tech Pro Strap for the camera and it's very nice. If the SOS strap can make the bag itself feel similarly lighter, it's a no-brainer.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:49 PM   #55

robar wrote:
Quote:
you don't HAVE to take all your lenses with you...
... And every time I leave one behind, I end up wanting THAT lens!

I think I've got it worked out so I can hike with everything, at least for half day hikes of around 5-6 miles. Still think I might like the slingshot, but that's another topic.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote