Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:37 PM   #1

just purchased a Takumar SMC 500mm f4.5 from a local used camera store for a song and it's too windy here today to use it. guess my quest for reach is over for awhile..

roy
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:29 PM   #2

Hi Roy,

Congrats on the acquisition -- patience pays off, I guess. I'm not familiar with this lens, but it's gotta be big -- can't wait to see some pics -- both of the lens itself and the results.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:43 PM   #3

thanks scott.. pix later. wind is blowing 40-50mph so there is no way even with tripod to use it.

roy
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:55 PM   #4

Congrats! OK, a song, but quanto plata? 500/4.5! That's... heavy? Pics (by and of the lens), details!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:50 PM   #5

great price but you are right about quanto plata.. but i can make quite a few extras with it on ebay if i ever want to.. lens is in remarkable condition for it's age. now i need a case for it, a big one.. i did go out and shoot some aperture tests but htey will have to wait. i'll post them when they are PPed.

roy
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:04 PM   #6

i took 12 shots but this is the only one that i'll post. like i said it's blowing 40mph+ here today. this is from about 150yds/meters f8.

auto levels, smart sharpen.
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:06 PM   #7

Certainly looks sharp enough, but what a beast!! Maybe an electric golf trolley would help carry everything around :-)

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:14 PM   #8

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Certainly looks sharp enough, but what a beast!! Maybe an electric golf trolley would help carry everything around :-)

Darren
darren ,

it's a lot lighter than it looks. of course i won't be hand holding it the weight is ok , it's the bulk that makes it a beast..

roy
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:07 PM   #9

Roy - That's what I call a serious lens. I remember a number of years ago, I had a friend that borrowed a big 300mm Takumar from a friend. He ended up mounting the camera on a gunstock with this big old lens sticking out where the barrel would go. If I remember he had a cable release mount where the trigger would normally be. Talk about a high powered camera. Anyway, the whole thing was pretty wild and we were a lot younger then.

Just so you won't feel bad about your purchase I picked up a nice M 28, F2.8 yesterday on Ebay. I've been wanting one of these in a K mount. It's not quite as big as yours though. At least I don't think it is. I don't have it yet - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:37 PM   #10

bruce,
you'll love it. i've got the M28 f2.8 and it's a GREAT lens. i took this

and this

and this pano with it

it's an outstanding lens for the $$ you can get it for.. it's one of my favorites.

roy