Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:32 PM   #1

I recently handled the pentax k100d at a local store and was able to compare it to the other entry level dslr's. To my surprise I found the end of my right thumb rubbing over the ae-lock dial and the e-dial button, waiting for an accident. It felt like Pentax neglected to creat a clean path for the thumb to rest. I tried the other entry level dslr's on display and they all had a similar problem, but the pentax was the most pronounced. Only the rebel xt and xti had a clear path for the thumb. (My other surprise was that the k100d hand grip design and size was very close to the rebel xt and xti, needless to say the canon felt fine for me also). Other than this issue, k100d was very comfortable to hold and felt very firm.

Could the k100d users please share their experience handling their camera. I have been favoring buying the k100d over the rebel xti because the in camera image stablization would make buying lenses much easier, but I had a hard time keeping my right thumb clear of the strangely placed buttons.

Thanks for your help,
chacha

P.S. You may have noted that I accidently placed this message in the general pentax forum also. I prefer responses here in the dslr forum. Sorry for any inconvenience.
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:13 PM   #2

I have the DL2 and yes my thumb is close to the 2 essential buttons. As you have discovered, most SLRs follow this design. It is not that easy to press them accidently, only when you actually want to use them.

Play with both cameras for 1/2 hour or so in the shop and pick the comfortable one.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:19 PM   #3

i'd definately get the canon if that's your biggest concern. of course you will have to purchase IS with each canon IS lens you purchase.
also, if you want to use canon's older AF or MF lenses then forget it as they will not work on the newer DSLRs
roy
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:25 PM   #4

The only Dslr camera I have is the K100. I bought it online, no camera shops anywhere around here, so I was not able to do any comparison. That said, I have not had any problem with accidently hitting the buttons with my thumb. IMO, you have a great advantage being able to actually play with a selection of cameras before you buy. Just keep playing with them until one of them convinces you to carry it home.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:10 PM   #5

Ergonomics are one of the most important things with cameras in this class (they all take good photos). If you are more comfortable with the Canon, then definitely get it over the Pentax - there's nothing worse than a camera you aren't comfortable with for whatever reason.

I'm not the best person to answer this one, since I have small hands. I love having the AE-L button close to my thumb because I use manual lenses all the time and it's great to not have to reach far to push it (allows the camera to meter when you use an aperture ring lens). I have yet to push it accidentally (and if I did, all it would do is either meter or fix the exposure settings when using A/FA lenses).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:16 AM   #6

I never thought about this before. I went stright to my DS and tried, and yes, my thumb does touch the AE-L button and the wheel. That has never been a concern, I haven't even noticed it before, and I have used the camera for a full year now.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:29 AM   #7

i wasawar eof it to on my ds
it felt designed to put your thumb there
i suppose so it is in easy reach of both wheel and button to make desired changes
i use my camera on manual most of the time so it works well for me to have my thumb there
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:55 PM   #8

You have to like what is in your hands to use it as far as a camera goes.

It may be all what you are looking for but when you don't like how it feels then it would be a waste to buy it.

Photography has many choices and needs. No need to limit yourself unless a budget is one of your limiting factors which is the case for most users here. Not just Pentax but any make of camera.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:50 PM   #9

This is essentially a reply to everyone who responded to my "grip-thumb-button" question. I needed to hear from those who have used this same button arrangement and so thank you for taking a moment to help. The sum of responses so far is that the pentax button arrangement has never been a problem and in fact has been anadvantage for most of the manual shooters. That is probably why so many of the other dslr brands that I held had buttons and dials in the same spot. The other point that seems constant is that at the entry dslr level, qualitybetween the brandsis fairly even. So pick one that feels good.This level headed approach is what I have come to admire from the pentax users.

I like the smaller entry levels like the pentax, canon xt, nikon d50, etc., where the baby finger curls under the grip just as you press the shutter. The larger pro cameras feel like I'm holding a ceral box, they are so massive. I'm guessing that the smaller size of the entry dslr's limits button and dial placements.

Once again the pentax users have responded with ideas worthy of consideration.Thanks againyou for taking time to help. chacha

chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:51 PM   #10

chacha,
after over 11,000 shots i haven't hit one by accident..