Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:28 PM   #11

It's worth noting that most DVD players will not play SVCDs, and many will not play VCDs. Ironically, the cheaper players are more likely to play them while more expensive players probably won't.

SVCDs are 480x480 versus DVD's 720x480 (we're talking NTSC here, things are slightly different in the PAL world), and if I remember right, VCDs are 352x240? I could be wrong on that one though. VCDs use mpeg-1 compression and are very simple, SVCDs use mpeg-2 like DVDs do and can do some fancier tricks.

Much of the fuzziness and noise that you see looking at pictures on TV is due to a composite video connection (the usual yellow RCA cable), this throws all the colors into one big soup and leads to a blurry image. Using an S-Video cable from your DVD player improves things dramatically and a component connection (three RCA cables for video) is slightly better than than S-Video. Of course, you're still dealing with a very low-resolution picture, but at least the colors will be stable.

Things should improve when high-def players become the norm, and we can author slideshows to display in 1920x1080 resolution on 1080p TVs. But that's a few years away, at least! Actually, it'll probably never be "the norm" but it will certainly become not that uncommon.

As for Irfanview, count me along those who are consistently amazed at how many tricks it has up its sleeve. I love it!

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:56 PM   #12

Hi Damfino - Very good information. I'm afraid there's a lot I don't know about this end of the photo thing yet. I have made slide shows and saved them in SVCD and they work on my DVD player and TV.

The one question I have is it gives me the option of VCD, SVCD orDVD which is 720 x 480. When I try to save it forDVD it says I need a DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW disc. Does this mean if I buy some DVD disks, I can burn my slide shows to them at a higher resolution then SVCD or do I need a DVD burner to do this? I only have a regular CD burner. The slideshow program also gives me the option to save it as a video file and use another burning program to burn it. I think it saves itas an .mpg file. Anyway, onward and upward - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:00 PM   #13

If you've still just got a CD burner, it is definitely worth upgrading to a DVD burner - they can be had for as little at $30 or so nowadays. (Check NewEgg, the NEC burner is usually the best buy.) Blank DVDs can be had for just over 20 cents each, so are much cheaper "per meg" than CDs are, so are better for all storage.

That being said...... there is a way of burning DVD-format content to a CD. Obviously you can only fit about a seventh as much information, but that's probably still plenty for a slideshow. I haven't experiented with that though so I can't offer any direct advice. I'd recommend heading over to www.videohelp.com, there's a wealth of information there on all things VCD/SVCD/DVD/AVI/MPG/etc.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote