Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:15 PM   #1

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to put together some slideshows I could put on a CD and give out at Christmas time. This is what you call forcing your pictures on the ones you love. Anyway, I did some searching on the net and tried some different ones. I finally tried one called My Slideshow and it really was what I was looking for. It allows you to set up galleries on a CD or on the web. My web gallery is at:

http://www.perr.com/gallery.html

You can get an idea of what can be done here. The one thing I didn't like is the software has meta files in it advertising its website and a link at the bottom of each page back to the My Slideshow website. I have to edit each page and put in my own stuff. A minor annoyance, but important to me.

I found the ability to put your pictures on a CD very good. I resize them all to 1024 x 768 to fit most 4 x 3 moniters. I think in the setup of the CD, you can have it resize to fit the screen. Anyway on a CD they load really fast. You also can add music, which I haven't done yet. You can also make the slide show pictures into a screensaver. My wife has one of my wildflowerscreensavers on her computer. It can load off the CD, so you don't have to write all the images to your hard drive. Anyway, here is there website if anyone is interested and you can download it and try it free for 30 days.

http://www.anixsoft.com/index.html

I hope this is a help to someone and maybe someone else has found a program they like that shows there pictures on CD. The one thing I have not been able to do yet is make avideo CDslideshow that can be viewed with any DVD player on a TV. This takes a DVD burner and I don't have one yet, but the program has that capability- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:03 AM   #2

Just curious: Have you tried a program called "Irfanview" yet?

http://www.irfanview.com/

I have made simple screen savers and slide shows with it. You can save files as executable, so everyone no matter if they have the program or not can see the slide show. I think you can loop MP3 Music with it but I haven't tried that yet.

It is Freeware.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:21 AM   #3

I use Picasa frmo Google.

1. It allows you to make a Gift CD containg a slide show. You can also include the original images with it (you do have options to resize the images).

2. It however does not allow you to set the shlide show to music.

3. Picasa does allow you to make a screen saver that you can modify (add or remove pictures from ) really easily.

It is very convenient if you are looking for a simple application.

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:38 AM   #4

I use Irfanview as my main program once I process my raws. I find it to be very quick and very good. I have used it for years and very seldom use PSP anymore. I know those that use Irfanview really like its simply way of doing things. I got onto irfanview about 4 years ago when I was using my Fuji 602. Many people in the Fuji forum were using it. I use Irfanview to crop, resize and sharpen all my pictures that go into the slideshow software- Bruce
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5

bper wrote:
Quote:
http://www.anixsoft.com/index.html

The one thing I have not been able to do yet is make avideo CDslideshow that can be viewed with any DVD player on a TV.
The quality from images converted to be shown as video on a TV is still pretty sub-standard - they tend to flicker and be somewhat noisy.

Ulead DVD Movie Factory v5 seems to have gotten over some of the obstacles & produces quite pleasing results.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:52 PM   #6

I think I may have mis-lead on the video CD. What I mean't is if you have a DVD burner, you can burn the images to a CD that plays a slideshow using a DVD player. It is not a video, but each image is displayed on a TV like a slideshow on your computer monitor. Apparently a CD burner will not burn them so that they play on a DVD player, but a DVD burner will. That is the way I read it anyway. Maybe someone has done this before- Bruce
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:00 PM   #7

all i've ever used irfanview for was as a quick viewer. every time i see a post about it doing this and doing that just amazes me. yes, i've been using it for years but have never really explored it's capabilities.

roy
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:30 PM   #8

Roy - I use it a lot and the one hint I can give you is it's set to aggressive out of the box for sharpening. I like to sharpen a little and if I need more than hit it again. To set this, hit CTRL E, then Sharpening after you have a picture loaded for viewing. You will see it is set to 20. I set it to 10 and it will default to that next time. You might even try 7 or 8. I see a lot of pictures that look over sharpened to me. Also play with the EnhanceColors (Shift +G). This lets you do quite a few things including Brightness and Contrast.

It's one of those programs that the more you mess with it, the more you can do and I found out it worked better for me then some of the expensive programs out there and is very fast compared to like PSP. I know, if I had a hotter computer, this wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I encourage you to take some time and play around with it since you already have it on your machine. I like to open the Tiff images I have created from rawin SilkyPix and finish my work with them in Irfanview. This usually amounts to cropping, resizing and sharpening before I save it as a jpeg. It goes pretty fast once I get it cropped.

I also often use the edit feature to insert some text like date and place taken on some of the pictures I put on my slideshows, otherwise I can never remember when I took them without looking at the Exif data. You can alsoview that in Irfanview. I had better quite plugging the product or they are going to ban me for advertising. I know the product has a loyal group of followers and it's good to see an individual design something that is successful. Of course I also use Pegasus for my email, I'm always pulling for the little guy. Have a good evening - Bruce
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:44 PM   #9

bper wrote:
Quote:
I think I may have mis-lead on the video CD. What I mean't is if you have a DVD burner, you can burn the images to a CD that plays a slideshow using a DVD player. It is not a video, but each image is displayed on a TV like a slideshow on your computer monitor. Apparently a CD burner will not burn them so that they play on a DVD player, but a DVD burner will. That is the way I read it anyway. Maybe someone has done this before- Bruce
I think you may have been misled there. A CD burner will burn CDs to play on a DVD player. You just have to set it to burn VCD or SVCD (VCD = Video CD). I have used various programs for this, such as Nero, but find the best to be ProShow Gold. Easy to use and you can use either CDs or DVDs depending on your burner.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:04 PM   #10

Thank you Darren - After taking a second look at the My Slideshow software, it does have an option in the tool menu for making VCD and SVCD slideshows. I tried it and they play fine on our DVD player and TV. The resolution is not near as good as on a Video monitor, but it does work oK. I think it is at 400 x 400 pixels for SVCD. Thanks for the help- Bruce