Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1

I have been looking at some amazing pictures that have been posted with the Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 lens and thus decided that I'd like to add one to my collection, will be my first prime lens. Being a newbie, I'm not so sure what a fair price for these are. I checked KEH and they have some used ones in EX+ condition for $79. Ebay prices seem all over the map, $50-$100+! I found one at a small town camera shop still new in the box, never been used, pristine condition with all the papers! It's amazing looking through that glass! He wanted $125 for it. Seems fair to me, what do you all think?

Thanks a bunch!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2

I bought my A 50mm 1.7 on ebay for about $50 and I watched several others go in that range. I do think that Pentax lenses have been selling higher in the past couple of months but $125.00 seems a little high IMO. On the other hand, buying from ebay is something of a crapshoot and there is something to be said for being able to pay your money and walk out the door with the item. Where ever you get it, I think you will be very happy with it.

Tim

PS, Keh seems to have an excellent reputation for undergrading their merchandise and I was very happy with my single transaction with them.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:05 PM   #3

Didn't notice where your located but at B&H (new york) the fa50 f1.4 is $170 after a $50 rebate. Without it, it's 2x as much as the A.
STILL it is faster and it is autofocus.
Personally I would (actually I did to save a few dollars)go for a used A f1.7. They USUALLY run $50ish on the used market. Normal RETAIL USED EX COND is $70-80. Tough call based on cashflow and time needed/wanted.
The 1.7 is SOMETIMES considered even better than the 1.4..... VERY arguable point.

ishino wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking at some amazing pictures that have been posted with the Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 lens and thus decided that I'd like to add one to my collection, will be my first prime lens. Being a newbie, I'm not so sure what a fair price for these are. I checked KEH and they have some used ones in EX+ condition for $79. Ebay prices seem all over the map, $50-$100+! I found one at a small town camera shop still new in the box, never been used, pristine condition with all the papers! It's amazing looking through that glass! He wanted $125 for it. Seems fair to me, what do you all think?

Thanks a bunch!
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:57 PM   #4
TDN

I got mine used for 35$, but I searched for a long time and I admit, was very lucky.

Now that I've used it, I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world :lol:

But 50$ is a very nice price, that should be your price to work towards.

125$ is way too much. For a new one, I'd say if you can get it down to 75$ get it. Otherwise look for a mint one on ebay/KEH or other auction sites.

I found mine by searching it in google and ending up on a forum where one was offered 2nd hand. Seller asked about 45$ for it, got it down to 35$, although I would have bought it for 45$ Never hurts to try...^^

VERY nice lens, I use it almost nonstop now...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:29 PM   #5

I'm in Oklahoma, but I did see the FA 50mm 1.4 at B&H for $170 after rebate. I would love that lens! However I can't find it in stock anywhere! I read on one website that it was backordered until 2007. I checked with KEH also, and you guessed it, none are on there. Seems people don't like departing with this lens. Humm I wonder why... LOL!!

If anyone has a source for this lens also please let me know!

I lost an auction on ebay today for a used Pentax-A 50mm 1.7, going price was
$81.00!! Yikes, cheap quality glass is getting hard to find so it seems.

Kevin
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:32 PM   #6

ishino wrote:
Quote:
If anyone has a source for this lens also please let me know!

I lost an auction on ebay today for a used Pentax-A 50mm 1.7, going price was
$81.00!! Yikes, cheap quality glass is getting hard to find so it seems.

Kevin

It is still inexpensive compared with others. It is top notch optics. Time and time proven correct.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:56 PM   #7

Kevin - I just satisfied my LBA and bought two lenses on Ebay in the last couple of weeks. I bought an M 50, F1.7 and an M 28, F2.8. I paid $58 and $56 for them and they were in very good condition. I haven't received the M 28 yet, so I hope it is in good condition. The M 50 is like new. I first started looking at A 50's and they were priced $30 to $40 more then the M's and I even saw one A 50, F1.4 that went for $159, crazy.

I finally decided I had spent all my years using manual lenses and felt comfortable with them, so that is why I went with the M's. Plus I do a lot of wildflower photography and manual focus is almost a must. At this stage of my life, I know how to set exposure (I think).

Ebay is kind of a crap shoot though and I have been stung before. I am always weary of those that say mint condition. It sounds like a used car term. My next purchase will be a DA 50-200mm, but it will be a new one with the rebate, no Ebay on that one. After that I am done, until I fall off the wagon again. Good luck to you- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 12:36 AM   #8

I just bought a Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm 1.4 on eBay using buy it now for $215. This will hopefully satisfy my LBA for a little while. Hope to get some incredible shots now!

Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:11 AM   #9

Congratulations to the new owner of a top lens! At least you will know that if the pics don't come out nice, it's not the lens, it's you. The good side of this is that the lens cannot improve, but you can! That's my philosophy, and that's why I rather spend my money on fewer top quality lenses than to have them all.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:03 PM   #10

<moved so not to hijack the thread...>

superfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote