Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:35 PM   #11

danielchton
Quote:
the new DA*50-135 or DA*60-250 are really what I am looking for. I will see how well it goes.

Daniel
Hi Daniel,

The DA*50-135 f2.8 really has my interest as a candids lens. The 60-250 looks like it will be pretty compact for its speed and reach, but will only tempt me if it's reasonably inexpensive and is very sharp wide open at the long end, and/or is lightning fast at AF with a K10 for BIF.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:19 PM   #12

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:

I believe everywhere it is out of stock now. Here is a pict posted by another Pentaxian with the lens wide open atF2.8

A very formidable lens arguably just below that of the FA* I believe .

I think Sigma has finished all its stock and is doing the re enginerring for the new USM/SSM motor for the lens.

Daniel , Toronto
I made an inquiry to Sigma specifically asking about compatibility with the K10D and its provision for HSM lenses; here is the reply.
[align=left]Dear Robert, [/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]Thank you for your inquiry. Both of the lenses are not available for the Pentax mount right now. The 70-200mm EX DG MACRO should be available from April 2007. However I believe there will be no HSM function in the lenses. The part number when available should be 569-109. There are no projected availability date for the 50-150mm at the moment. [/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]There was a 70-200mm EX DG without the macro; this part number is 568-109. You may be able find it from places like Cameta Camera. Many places may not carry the lens since the lens is not in production anymore. [/align] [align=left] [align=left] [align=left][/align] Sincerely,
Emi Arata

SIGMA Corporation of America
15 Fleetwood Court
Ronkonkoma, New York 11779

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 631.585.1144.
Toll Free: 1.800.896.6858.
"The content of this message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential. They may contain legally privileged information or copyright material. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author."
[/align][/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left][/align]
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 5:52 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Pentax Mount Lenses

I recently purchased a Pentax K10D digital SLR. It has contacts in the lens mount to support HSM lenses.

I am interested in your following lens models:

APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM

APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM

Are either of these lenses available to fit the Pentax K10D? If not, do you plan to offer either one in the future?

Is there a version of either lens without the HSM that will fit the Pentax K10D? If so, please send the Sigma part number and the names of dealers who carry it.

LO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:18 PM   #13

Bob,

It sounds right that Sigma has to wait for the launching of Pentax HSM thing before they should start the re-engineering of Sigma's clone. Thanks for sharing the info'. Seems a lot of things depends on how good and how expensive (or inexpensive) the DA* zoom is .

Meanwhile FA*70-200 is still king of the game that has not been disputed.

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:15 PM   #14

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
SPLOSdb shows the FA* as a (!!), the Sigma as a (!), and the Tokina as a (**), and I tend to agree -- and from experience, really wouldn't hesitate to go for any of the (**) rated lenses.

Scott
i've found SPLOSdb to be very conservative with their ratings. as you, i don't hesitate with the ** rating.

roy
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:42 PM   #15

I thought I had read somewhere that there was a hold-up with anyone making HSM lenses in Pentax mount - a copyright infringement or something like that. Whatever I read was a little snibbit somewhere and I never heard anything more. Am I dreaming this?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:50 AM   #16

Tom did sell it I have put it to good use. Here is one I took with the DS.

Exposure Time
1/250 sec

F-Number
F2.8

Exposure Program
Aperture priority

ISO Speed Ratings

Exposure Time
1/250 sec

F-Number
F2.8

Exposure Program
Aperture priority

ISO Speed Ratings

Can't wait to try it out with the new K10:-)
pentaxistds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:12 PM   #17

Tom

You have other lens to sell? Whatever leftover from you is good enough for me

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:14 PM   #18

I am with Scott on this one, the DA* 50-135mm f2.8 is the functional equivalent to a 75-210mm lens on a film camera. Most pro photographers (except those who shoot specialties, or prefer primes) used a 28-70mm f2.8 and a 70-200mm f2.8 as their core lenses (note that exact numbers vary, such as the Pentax 80-200mm f2.8). Since the crop factor of the APS-C sensor works better with wider lenses we now need something like an 18-55mm f2.8 and a 50-135mm f2.8 to cover the same functional range. Currently my main lens is a Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5, big advantage at the wide end but typically slow at the long end.

I should start saving my money for the DA* glass, and a nice prime AF lens (right now my primes are all pre-A series manual lenses). For the prime an FA 35mm f2 sounds like the ticket since the current"Limited" lenses are either too expensive or too slow.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote