Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:11 PM   #1

I just bought my k100d and it will be arriving on monday. I cannot wait. I went and picked up some rechargable energizers. I got the high capacity ones that are 2500 mah. I am going to buy a second set as well for backup. How long can I expect them to last?
fallenleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:57 PM   #2

Thanks to Imaging Resources.

[align=center]

Operating Mode
Number of Shots

CR-V3 lithium batteries

[align=center]630[/align]

AA lithium batteries

[align=center]570[/align]

AA alkaline batteries

[align=center]60[/align]

AA NIMH rechargeable batteries

[align=center]300[/align]
The Pentax K100D uses four AA batteries for power, and a set of single-use alkaline batteries is included with the camera. Though runtimes are increased with the NiMH batteries over alkalines, the best results come from two CR-V3 lithium battery packs. I strongly recommend picking up a two sets of CR-V3's or AA NiMH rechargeable batteries and keeping them freshly charged and on-hand for extended outings. (See our battery shootout page for information on actual measured capacities of various NiMH brands and capacity markings.)[/align]

[align=left]The table above shows the number of shots the camera is capable of (on either a fresh set of disposable batteries or a fully-charged rechargeable battery as appropriate), based on CIPA battery-life and/or manufacturer standard test conditions.[/align]

[align=left]http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K100D/K100DA.HTM[/align]
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:44 PM   #3

I believe that most of the "test results" you see for battery life in cameras assumes a 50% use of flash. I don't use flash nearly that often in real life. I have two sets of 2500 NIMH batteries I use in rotation. I can get about 500 shots from a fresh set, more if I use them up quickly, less if they sit in the camera for a couple of weeks. I do carry a set of CRV-3 batteries as emergency reserve but I have not had to dip into them yet. Also, I leave the SR feature on all of the time. I know that the lithium batteries are supposed to be better but I have zero complaints about the rechargable AA batteries in my K100d.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:50 PM   #4

I would guess that 300 shots is ballpark. It will depend on how much you use the flash, and how long it takes you to take them when it comes to rechargeables. I have one set of nimh batteries that don't hold their charge very well, while the Sanyo 2500 sets I have hold their charge very well. I can put the Sanyos in and leave them in for several weeks when I'm not taking many pictures. When I put the back-up set in they will still have a fair amount of charge. The other set (think they are Duracell) would have very little charge left if left in the camera bag for several weeks. I actually have 4 sets of batteries, so I can use 2 sets for both cameras (the DS and the K100D). I keep the Duracells for the DS because I don't use it that often, so it isn't critical for the back-ups to have a charge.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:29 PM   #5

mtngal

Does the SR eat the batterys that much Quicker?? With My DS amd CRV3 I get 1100 Shots and with a fresly Charged set of 2500s, 400-600 Shots

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:41 PM   #6

the K100D does use batteries faster than the DS, but not that much faster. That's why I said "ballpark" - I probably get around 500 on a regular basis with the DS and the Sanyos (though I've never actually tracked it) and perhaps 400-450? with the K100D. The other thing I've been doing recently is trying to take pictures of hummingbirds, so I've been leaving the camera turned on and letting it go to stand-by (with it pre-focused and zoomed to where I want it), rather than turning it off and on, and refocusing each time. I hardly ever use a flash, so think my figures are higher than others, plus my experience with the 2500 Duracells indicates that batteries are not always equal, even though they have the same rating.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:43 PM   #7

Ok thanks. I Was just Curious

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:49 PM   #8

It's a good question, and some reviewers have mentioned that the SR (which I do keep turned on most of the time) takes extra battery power. Just my experience,it does make a difference - just doesn't seem to be all that big of a difference for me personally.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:50 AM   #9

fallenleafs wrote:
Quote:
I got the high capacity ones that are 2500 mAh.
You won't go far wrong with these. Get the second set.

I suggest that you charge them both (obviously) using an intelligent fast charger which will switch to trickle charge when they are near/fully charged.

Use the first set. When finished for the day, place the second set in the camera & re-charge the first set to bring the capacity back to full.

That way you should always have two sets of fully charged batteries to give you well in excess of 600 shots as a minimum.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:14 PM   #10

I took current consumption measurements of my K100D, sounds easy, but it isn't so there's only a few readings. It's actually very low I would say.
With the display on the startup Aperture mode screen, the current=185ma.
In shot taking mode but no shot being taken, no LCD display, current=85ma. Taking the shot doesn't do more than 'blip' the current.
Autofocus working hard (i.e. with the lens cap on)=480ma but there are much higher brief surges. I caught glimses of about 1A.
Focusing (and flash of course, sorry no measurements) is what kills the batteries, I reckon using MF and little flash work ought to make batteries last an eternity.

SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote