Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 29, 2006, 12:20 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Hung out at the Cincinnati Northern KY Int'l Airport (CVG) yesterday afternoon and captureda couple ofwide bodies coming into land. Lighting conditions were great, but the winds were gusting about 30-40 knots which made holding the camera steady quite a feat (not to mention the windchill was probably about 40 F as well. To counteract the unsteady conditions, I shot these at 1/1000th of a sec shutter speed with the Pentax 50-200mm lens. SR wouldhave come in handy!

B777 DL 43 arriving from Paris

B767

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:01 PM   #2

Hi Jay

Excellent Shots. Are you per chance a Pilot?? I ask because most people have no clue what the term "heavies" would mean.
I Myself have 10 hours flight Time towards my private pilots licence. I have not Finished because the rental fee and the cost of Avgas are out of my reach Right now.
I got interested in flying because, I have some very fond memorys of flying with my uncle To the Dayton Airshow.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:08 PM   #3

ditto BK
any problems with security?? i'd probably get arrested if i took the new 500mm out to d/fw airport.

roy
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:43 PM   #4

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jay

Excellent Shots. Are you per chance a Pilot?? I ask because most people have no clue what the term "heavies" would mean.
I Myself have 10 hours flight Time towards my private pilots licence. I have not Finished because the rental fee and the cost of Avgas are out of my reach Right now.
I got interested in flying because, I have some very fond memorys of flying with my uncle To the Dayton Airshow.

Phil
Phil,

I am not a pilot although am nuts about aviation in general (ironical that I work in the auto industry instead:?). I had one flight lesson in a Cessna 172 (courtesy of my brother who has his PPL); that's the extent of my flying experience. Have thought about getting a PPL, but similar to you, the cost is out of my reach. BTW, the Dayton Air Show is a good one. I attended one a few years ago. Also, have you visited the Dayton Air Museum? One more note, if you have not already checked out www.airliners.net--it is a great site for excellent images of aircraft as well as superb photography. Jay
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:49 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
ditto BK
any problems with security?? i'd probably get arrested if i took the new 500mm out to d/fw airport.

roy

Roy,

Since 9/11 I have always been "scared" to hang out at the airplane viewing area at CVG with a camera. However, at CVG there always seems to be a crowd of plane spotters around. I stopped by yesterday and saw several folks with cameras. With the mindset of "safety in numbers" I returned home, grabbed the DL and returned.This has been the first time that I have photographed at CVG. A state trooper pulled into the lot, circled the parking area, and left. I imagine if you showed up with your 600mm, a tripod and lots of other gear, Ithink you could pass fora nerdy photo entusiast with a bad case of LBA!!!:-)
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:52 PM   #6

Phil.

The website I referred to is www.airliners.net.

If you click on the link in the prior posting, my "--it" screws up the URL. J
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:44 PM   #7

you geek!,

who you callin a nerd????

roy
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:00 PM   #8

Here is one from a year and a half ago, landing at Ft. Lauderdale Airport from over the beach. Pentax ist DS, Tamron 70-300mm.
Attached Images

Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:18 PM   #9

yeah i am a big aircraft enthusiast and now my 737-800 to my a340-200 but in britain security is so tight many viewing platforms including london heathrow have been shut down, also this included the other 5 london airports which is really annoying.
how far away were you with that tamorn 70-300mm i want one.
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:26 PM   #10

Jay

Ok, just curious how you knew the term. I also Learned in a Cessnia, I Believe it was a Model 132, Could Be wrong On that.
I have no real pictures of any Commercial airlines. I Would not dare to Try To take any pictures at the local airports(JFK, LGA). Might get away with It at Bradley, But dont care To find out.
Thanks for the web site, I will Check It out later. Just Finished Preping The Snow thrower for the season.
Just for kicks here is a picture from the 2005 Westfield Air Show of A "Heavy"
Taken with my DS and Sigma 70-300

Phil

BTW, yes we did do the dayton air mueseum
Attached Images

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote