Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:20 AM   #1

went out last sunday to take some pictures. first nice day after 2 weeks of rain and unfortunatelly for me no nice and fluffy clouds. and after couple shots my batteries died . lucky for me DL2 takes AA batteries and small shop was close nerby, so I managed to get some shots. all taken in RAW with tripod, polariser and 0.6ND grad filter.

using this ND grad filters is not easy, it's a bit hit and miss before you get used to it. and shooting landscape at 18mm with kit lens is challenge itself. not only it vignetts a lot at 18mm, there's also too much of sky or foreground in the photo. and I got there at wrong time of the day, it was around 2 or 3pm, with long shadows, and best wievs were directly into sun. but I'm satisfied with results considering it was my first try with DL2 and the light wasn't best. any comments are welcomed.

BTW. you can find more photos fromthis location at
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...hope%20valley/
taken in summer with Panasonic FZ 10 (I wasn't really happy with them).
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:27 AM   #2

Nice shots/landscapes, thanks for sharing.
OTOH those images would benefit from using circular polarizer and/or skylight/haze filters- IMHO :-)
I see You used a polarizer- but which type as the clouds do not show any sign of circular one to my eyes- but I may be blind as always...

Best and happy shooting/experimenting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:39 AM   #3

I did use polarizer but light was from wrong direction to have visible effect. best effect is when the sun is from your left or right, in firs 2 and last photo it was either from behind me or in front of me, so no visible effect on the sky. on 3rd and 4th photo it's visible. not to mention there was a lot of white clouds and not much blue sky.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:50 AM   #4

I like the fourth one the best although all are good. I think the shadows on #4 really add to the scene.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5

Personally, I don't bother with filters preferring to post process to achieve the desired results; using Shadows/Highlights will bring out the detail in shadows & darken skies down to accentuate clouds - just like a polarising filter.

In the fourth shot I reduced the forground to bring the gate closer to the front as a leadin to the rest of the picture.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6

Vignetting can be 'cloned out' in Photoshop.

A trick that I've used is to shift the image down, then select the sky & resize this to fill the void created by shifting the image down.

OK. I know that this distorts the sky a bit & purist would say 'it's not the image that I took', but, it's fun to create something different & anyway, you're the only one that would know.
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:14 PM   #7

Here's a 'scape of mine taken with the Pentax DA 50-200mm lens.

Low early morning sun throws long shadows across the fields which, IMHO, adds to the mood of the shot.
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:31 PM   #8

Catbells: I really like your webpage, nice walks and photos of Lake district. Unfortunatelly I'm too far to go there for one day walk bu I'll get there sometime.

thanks for comments

greg
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:03 PM   #9

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
Catbells: I really like your webpage, nice walks and photos of Lake district. Unfortunatelly I'm too far to go there for one day walk bu I'll get there sometime.
Thanks for your comments.

Wish I was as close as you, we're as far south as you can get so it's a fair trek for us which limits our excursions a tad.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:34 AM   #10

My main problem with these pictures is that it's hard to imagine anything right now that is so GREEN! In fact, it's hard to imagine that much green-ness at any time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote