Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:51 AM   #1

Just heard on the latest ad about Rebel xti. Canon brags about its compatibility with 50 (fifty) lens which happens to be their selling point.
So it is a matter of a glass being half full or half empty as Pentax has never been that agressive in promoting its backward compatibility which is phenomenal in the industry. But being an industrial leader, Canon does have a lot of edge over other minor players

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:10 AM   #2

A lot of Pentaxes lenses are manual focus... which for me made it better
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:38 AM   #3

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Canon brags about its compatibility with 50 (fifty) lens
wowamIimpressed?:blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:18 PM   #4

It's all about marketing which is somethingwherePentax fails badly.

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily matter how good something is, it's how you sell it & whether you like it or not, that's why Nikon & Canon do better - 'cause they give the dealers incentives to push their products whereas Pentax don't.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:01 PM   #5

This is the point I wanted to make. You can spin an obvious shortcoming as if it is an asset/merit. That may be what marketing/politics is about.

Daniel

Catbells wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily matter how good something is, it's how you sell it & whether you like it or not, that's why Nikon & Canon do better - 'cause they give the dealers incentives to push their products whereas Pentax don't.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:36 PM   #6
TDN

nyeh, I don't really care about marketing. As long as they keep making cameras now that I'm into the system (and loving it)

As I said before, I kinda like being the only one with a Pentax in a crowd of 20 photographers with Canons and Nikons. They all go: "hey, what kind of camera is that?" and they drool when I explain about the automatic lightmeting and focus indicator on manual lenses

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:19 PM   #7

Catbells wrote:
Quote:

exactly. people buy nikon because they see them on CSI, not because they think they're better or worse.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:30 PM   #8

sad but true. One of my workmates just acquired his 400D simply because 'he has his heart set on it'. I reckon where Pentax fell short is

- as you said, not enough marketing. In fact, they dont have a manufacturer's presence in Australia! Look up Pentax on the telephone directory and its a representative dealer.

- Whilst the lens support for vintage lenses are great, it seemed to me there is not much push about the more recent lens range. Open a magazine and you see price listings for Canon and Nikon. It forces me to shop on ebay most of the time, and some great lenses, like the Tamron 90mm macro and the newer Tamron 17-50 f2.8 came out in Nikon and Canon mounts first, and Pentax users have to wait.

But having said that I still stand by my product! and i do think the popularity is on the rise. When I purchased my K100D I had to buy the demo stock because they were all gone! Plus you can see the ebay prices for the vintages and Takumars going up and up which simply means one thing - more demand.
sho33y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:24 PM   #9

Go to the inside back cover of almost any issue of Trains magazine in the last couple of years and you will see a Canon DSLR ad. Guess which brand seems to be the most popular with railfan photographers.

Terry
thmitch is offline   Reply With Quote