Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:36 PM   #1

Hi All,

I've been trying to get some shots of one of these for quite some time, with no success, then spotted one yesterday -- kinda far away -- these are < 1MP crops, and were shot with the FA*300/4.5 + PF 1.7x AFA handheld. I tried to get closer, but these guys take off at the slightest sign of movement. This spring I followed one for about 2 hours around a local lake, and was never able to get a clear shot, so I'm pretty happy with these . . . for now.

Both shot @ 510mm, f7.65 (wide open), 1/125, ISO 200.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:44 PM   #2

I'd also be happy if I got a Kingfisher that close. The second is really sharp for handheld 1/125. Why ISO 200?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:01 PM   #3

Hey these are pretty great shots. I have a very clear view of the bird. The subject is sharp. Good lighting and color rendition. I imagine that the bird in real life is pretty tiny so I think your cropping worked well.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:03 PM   #4

bilybianca wrote:

Why ISO 200?

Hi Kjell,

I started off using ISO 800, then switched to ISO200 to get the best quality since I knew that I'd have to crop significantly -- hoped that at least one would be reasonably sharp.

I've been pretty lucky at handholding this combo at pretty slow shutter speeds, so I always try to get at least a couple of shots at lowest ISO regardless of shutter speed before I take the chance of moving closer and scaring the bird away.

These were better than the ISO 800 shots, so they're the ones I posted.

Thanks for looking!

Scott

Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:13 PM   #5

Scott,

I know you have steady hands and I saw that in another series. These two shots still show either camera shake (no kidding for the focal length at 1/125s) or movement of the subject (kingfisher is notorious)

To prove if it is true, you may shoot an stationary subject at same distance to see which was the cause .

Notwithstanding that , I will still be happy if I were you re the pix.

Daniel

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I've been trying to get some shots of one of these for quite some time, with no success, then spotted one yesterday -- kinda far away -- these are < 1MP crops, and were shot with the FA*300/4.5 + PF 1.7x AFA handheld. I tried to get closer, but these guys take off at the slightest sign of movement. This spring I followed one for about 2 hours around a local lake, and was never able to get a clear shot, so I'm pretty happy with these . . . for now.

Both shot @ 510mm, f7.65 (wide open), 1/125, ISO 200.

Scott
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:15 PM   #6

scott, getting anything at that mag is wonderful. have you tried a monopod. i took the 500 out on one yesterday and found out it'll be tough to handle..

roy
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:43 PM   #7

Hi Royce Daniel and Roy,

Thanks for looking, and your comments.

I have and do use a monopod. . . and tripods too. Circumstances just sometimes don't allow for their use. In this case (as in many others) I was driving past this spot and spied the kingfisher from the car. I shot what I could from the car, then quietly got out, took the monopod out of the trunk, and turned just in time to see the kingfisher take off to another spot @ 100 ft from where I was. I followed it only to watch it take off again as I was attaching the camera to the pod. It almost always seems to go like this, so many times I just rely on fairly good handholding to get the shots I want. This is why I'm so pumped about SR in the new Pentax bodies and like the more compact long tele lenses.

Scott
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:12 PM   #8

I'm still amazed at how well you do with the long zooms and handholding them. Now that I have the A*300, I'm even more impressed.

I've been having enough trouble with hummingbirds, and they are easy compared to the birds you manage to get.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:35 PM   #9

Nice shots Scott. I know exactly what you mean. I have the same lens with a 1.4TC, and have about the same kind of looking shots. The little bu__ers never get close, and if you come across one--GONE!!!. These aren't bad considering the cropping....cheers........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote