Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:16 PM   #1

as I am that Pentax chose to go to a battery pack and away from the CRV3s and AA batteries. I'm a big fan of the flexibility using those batteries gives me in the istDL and I really do not like the battery pack we have to use at work with a Cannon Rebel XT. Also, I'm disappointed that Pentax chose to go away from their 200-3200 sensitivity range to the 100-1600. I don't understand why they couldn't just go with 100-3200 or stay with the 200-3200. Is the quality of picture really that much better when you go from 200 down to 100 that they had to sacrifice the sensitivity of the 3200??I'm probably going to upgrade in the next few months, but I'm pretty sure it will be to the K100d and not to the K10d for these reasons.  I just wanted to rant, sorry.  And as a thanks for reading this, here
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:45 PM   #2

The battery issue doesn't bother me at all - before I got the DS I owned a Sony F717, with its proprietary battery. I bought a second one for a backup when I got the cameraand I think I used it exactly twice in the 3 years I had the camera. I rotate my rechargeable AA batteries all the time. Yes, the initial cost is higher, but I was still using the original battery when the camera developed problems, not bad for over 3 years and close to 9,000 pictures. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways, and for me the batteries are a non-issue.

I'm going to wait to see what the regular users come up with as far as the quality of pictures. Just me, but I never use 3200. The loss of detail from noise is more than I'm willing to accept (my personal preference) so not havingit doesn't bother me either.

I'm not planning on upgrading to the K10D at this time. I also used to own a PannyFZ30, and was disappointed in its dynamic range - I want to see what other ordinary users start posting. The extra weight concerns me, too - the K100D is about as heavy as I want to go. I won't say I won't get one because I said that about the K100D (SR wasn't enough on its own to get me to buy one), and then I bought one (and have been totally happy that I did!).

So while I have concerns about the new camera, the two issues you brought up wouldn't stop me from gettingit at all!

P.S. - Love the colors in that picture!

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:48 PM   #3

The fact that the K10D usesa proprietary battery pack and the K100D uses standard AAs (or similar rechargeables), played a BIG part in why I chose the K100D. That, combined with the $400 price difference, the size and weight difference, and the fact that the K100D is a little more "beginner friendly", was all I needed to see. I absolutely love my K100D.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:49 PM   #4

First of all, very nice color in your picture. You really should add it to the October Autumn leaves thread. But to answer your question, no, I can't be disappointed, the camera is not even out yet, let alone in my hands.

I know there has been a lot of speculation on the K10. I hope it is great, as I want a second body (so my wife can have her k100 back). I will probably use ISO100 far more often than I use ISO3200 (I am not sure I have ever taken a shot at ISO 3200). As far as the battery, that is a non-issue for me, especially if it contributes to faster fps, focus, more shots, or other useful benefits.

If you get a K100 I think you will be very happy, I have really enjoyed mine (I mean my wife's). I am going to wait and see the reviews on the K10 and hopefully get some feedback from people in this forum. I figure every camera has tradeoffs and I am going to wait and see if the K10's tradeoffs are acceptable to me.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:05 PM   #5

hi jhacker,

If a dedicated battery gets me better AF and SR performance, then that's the price i'll have to pay. I'll use the batteries in my flashes --- oh yeah-- and I'm keeping my DS body, so the AA's won't go to waste. I've just set up a small battery charging station for all the batteries that I have to charge for all the different things that need them -- cellphone, flashlights, cordless drills and drivers, jumper cell for the car, other P&S cam dedicated batteries, and I'm sure there are more -- just one more thing to charge . . .

The ISO sensitivity range is due more to the "native " ISO senditivity of the sensor, and is not necesarily the "choice" of the camera designers. The native senistivity of the 6.2 MP Sony sensor is 200 -- add 4 stops of reliable amplification, and you have the range of 200-3200 -- and there were some who lamented the lack of ISO 100.

The native sensitivity of the 10MP Sony sensor is ISO 100 -- with the same 4 stops of reliable amplification (before noise gets too overwhelming) and you have 100-1600.
I find that I can live with this as long as ISO 1600 is not too bad on the K10D. I use 1600 a lot of the time with my DS, hope to be able to use it with the K10D also . . . we'll see. BTW, take any sensor, to make it work at a lower than native sensitivity, and it becomes noisier than at the higher native ISO rating. They didn't choose the ISO range to p*** you off -- they are just playing the cards they were dealt.

. . . and you don't even mention dropping TTL flash support -- I have 3 TTL flashes, the best will only allow full manual use with the K10D -- oh well, an excuse to get either a Sigma SG Super or a 540FGZ. . .

Bottom line, no -- I'm not really disappointed, the features and functionality gains will far outweigh any negatives that I see. Obviously YMMV.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:37 PM   #6

i agree with scott. not happy with the drop of iso3200 but you can force that. getting iso100 i guess makes up for it. no TTL really UPSETS me, totally!!! from what i've read the new battery is fairy widely available. my AAs won't be wasted tho as i'll use them in everything else.

roy
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:50 PM   #7

Hi Jhacker

Im with You. I am Not thrilled that they went With a proprietary Battery. I Dont remember where i read this but, I read that the K10 needed higher Voltage and that the camera would need 6 AA batterys. Dont know how true this is but!! That was the reason for the switch.

I agree with Mtngal-I Would never use the 3200 Anyway, so thats not a big loss for me.

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:20 PM   #8

i personally wish that i could go down to 64 iso, 200 can be way to fast on a bright sunny day
there is no chance of slow shutter speeds unless you add filters, i would only use 3200 in the nocturnal house at the zoo

as for the batteries it would depend on price i guess and value for money

i like the idea that no matter how far from civilasation i am i can still get AAs
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:57 PM   #9

Gumnut

I agree I wish we could go back To 25 ISO. In My ME days, I Shot Only Shot 25 ISO Kodachrome.

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
i personally wish that i could go down to 64 iso, 200 can be way to fast on a bright sunny day
there is no chance of slow shutter speeds unless you add filters, i would only use 3200 in the nocturnal house at the zoo

as for the batteries it would depend on price i guess and value for money

i like the idea that no matter how far from civilasation i am i can still get AAs
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:59 AM   #10
TC3

I am not dissapointed at all as i find the K100D meets all my requirements. If i was looking for a camera now i would still go with the K100D and not K10D. I too really like the use of AA batteries and i find ISO 3200 can be very useful at times. I was attracted to the K100D for those reasons as well as the use of SD cards and SR and the option to use older lenses. Just love the K100D
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote