Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:45 PM   #1

As you have already come across the original Japanese interview online a few days ago, below is a clear translated version by a Japanese PDML member:-

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

This interview is indeed very informative, as the interviewee is the engineer-in-charge of the K10D project. It is really much more informative and useful than those previous BS ones made with a few different Pentax marketing guys elsewhere, including the one made by Popphoto. Some of the highlights on what I found most interesting are as follows:-

1. The target age group of the K10D is intended to be from 40 to 50 years old! So, if you're below 40 or above 50, please seriously re-consider if you should get a K10D! ;-) Or, you should seriously re-assess yourself to see if you're actually too old or too immature inside your heart if you're really interested in the K10 but yet fall out of the age range! LOL..

2. Quoted: "RAW does not mean a real unprocessed RAW" (Well, that's what I said for years but just that quite some people didn't believe);

3. Quoted: "6mp class might be more usable in higher ISO". Actually, the K100D is referred, which means that it is (finally) admitted officially that the high(er) ISO performance of the K100D will still be better (as I have said several times before, there will be *no miracle*, just because it is Physics);

4. The PEF file of the K10D will be compressed: Quoted: "By compressing RAW data, file size of this 10.2mp camera is not too different from previous models";

5. The AF accuracy will be the same as K100D (which the engineer head considers as "excellent already" but the AF speed will be a step faster, owing to the use of a more "robust power supply";

Remarks by me: The focus accuarcy of the K100D system is very good under normal daylight but there is still room for improvement. For details, see my test in the following link:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...acy_Alignments

6. A larger body is a result of more powerful circuitry and a larger SR unit packed into the body plus the new dust/water sealing parts;

7. They think that a larger body will suit foreign users better (which they would like) but for home market, people would not like it better.

There are also some other information which are first known to the public, just go through for more details if interested..

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:36 AM   #2

Thanks for the post. It is nice to hear thatthe people with hands-on experience in creating the camera are willing to admit it's faults (i.e. sensor size vs. ISO, etc.) and not just tow the company line. The K10D will be on my list when it's cheaper in a year or two, for now I'll stick with my lowly (at least on the pentax chain) DL (which is a great camera for me!).
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:23 AM   #3

RiceHigh, thanks for that information.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:56 PM   #4

I also have been following that thread on PDML. It does offer some good information but I am still planning on waiting for some initial reviews and for the price to (hopefully) drop a bit before I commit.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:52 PM   #5

Part II of the Interview, a translated summary (not exact full translation but should contain most of the meanings, I guess):-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=20700774

Well, it would be interested to note the chief designer/engineer admit the problem/limitation of their AA battery solution which I have been mentioning in my *ist Dx reviews and at forums. Still, my K100D driven with 1100mAh RCR-V3 Li-ion batteries perform better than when it is driven by Sanyo 2500 mAh AAs, for both AF and battery life.

Another interesting point to note is that the Dust Removal system on SR system only operate in 0.2 second each time and the chief mentioned that it was not so effective actually so that Pentax must add the SP coating on the AA filter.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote