Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:07 PM   #1

These are a bit of a test, as well as just some miscellaneous pictures I've taken recently. I've been playing with Lightroom and have uploaded several pictures to Photobucket. I'm interested to see how they look here - I've had problems with oranges when I've compressed pictures too much, and photobucket will compress things that are larger than they allow.

I've decided that my hummingbirds are hopeless, under the conditions I have. Can't use flash because I'm shooting out a window. Window faces north so the light is difficult at best of times. We've had lots of marine layer clouds, making it harder to get decent shutter speeds. Thought this one worked well with some selective desat (A*300 lens, and at almost its minimum focus distance).

This one is just for fun - I couldn't decide if this fellow wanted to rent the D200 or crush the sign since he was really a Pentaxian. Taken with the M 50mm 1.4 lens.

They've re-opened part of the Los Padres National Forest near us, so Sunday (when I got home) I explored a dirt road. There was quite a bit of moisture in the air, and I thought of Rick. This is pretty typical of much of the terrain around here. Taken with the DA 50-200 lens.

These next three are experiments to see if I can post oranges with any success. In the past they have always looked really washed out, and I so love sunrises and sunsets! These are 3 shots I took Saturday morning while traveling at 60 mph in the middle of the Mojave Desert. It seemed like every time I went to take a picture we'd go over a bump. They are in sequence time-wise. Another one taken with the M 50mm 1.4.

A little later:

Let me know what you think (comments and suggestions are always welcome), and if the oranges are as bright as they are in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Edit comment: Now that I'm at work and looking at them on another monitor - whatever I did this time did not dull out the oranges, so I'm happy. I removed the last (6th) photo because I didn't think like it as well as I did when I originally looked at it - amazing what you see when you are in another environment.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

Great shots. 1 and 5 are my favourites.

The oranges are nicely saturated.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:38 AM   #3

I can see your frustration with hummingbird and the lack of birdie shot opportunity. In where I am located , the chance is also zero now.

BTW I am about to comment on the last pix you took out. I recall it was the only one showing some details of the shadowed (darkened ) area.

I am working (with software and high iso setting) on something like that with sunset as the backdrop and as much detail as possible in the shadowed (silhouette ) area. I have no clue what it may look like . It may not work out that beautiful. The cloud in that pix (the one your withdrew) may not be that stunning as the others. But I had an eye on the minor details.

Daniel

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've decided that my hummingbirds are hopeless, under the conditions I have. Can't use flash because I'm shooting out a window. Window faces north so the light is difficult at best of times. We've had lots of marine layer clouds, making it harder to get decent shutter speeds. Thought this one worked well with some selective desat (A*300 lens, and at almost its minimum focus distance).

These next three are experiments to see if I can post oranges with any success. In the past they have always looked really washed out, and I so love sunrises and sunsets! These are 3 shots I took Saturday morning while traveling at 60 mph in the middle of the Mojave Desert. It seemed like every time I went to take a picture we'd go over a bump. They are in sequence time-wise. Another one taken with the M 50mm 1.4.

A little later:

Let me know what you think (comments and suggestions are always welcome), and if the oranges are as bright as they are in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Edit comment: Now that I'm at work and looking at them on another monitor - whatever I did this time did not dull out the oranges, so I'm happy. I removed the last (6th) photo because I didn't think like it as well as I did when I originally looked at it - amazing what you see when you are in another environment.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:52 PM   #4

LOL! That's what I get for just looking at the colors. Yes, I did like the extra detail and the reflection of the guard-rail in it.It was quite a bit lighter overall, and not as much difference in light between the sky and the ground (in fact, the little bit of orangeon the right is the sun coming up). I'll put it back here, and I'm still not sure whether I was using the M 50mm 1.4 or the M 24mm 2.8 when I took this.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote