Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:07 PM   #1

Hi,

First, some background..

I have an old Richo KR-5 Super II film SLR, and half a dozen lenzes for it. Most of these lenzes are K-mounts, though one of them is a KA (that is actually a doubler). I'd like to use these lenses with a dSLR so I don't have to make a completely new investment in glass.

I've been shooting Digital for the last 6 years with Olympus cameras (I currently have an Olympus E-10), so i've been using a dSLR for a while (the E-10 has about 5000 shots on it at this point).

My E-10 is starting to show it's age (mainly in picture quality), so I think it's time to replace it.

Since these K-mount dSLRs have come on to the market, I'm thinking it might be a decent investment to buy a new digital body to use along with my old K-mount lenses. This at least allows me to spend money on the body instead of money on new glass.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if my reasoning is sound, which brings on a couple of questions...

What, if any, experiences do you have using manual K-mount lenses on the new Digital bodies? Are there any issues I should be aware of?

Are the results that I'll get using the old manual lenses I already have roughly equivilent to the results I'd see using the manual lenses on an autofocus K-mount camera?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:20 PM   #2

I use nothing but manual lenses on my Pentax *ist DS. You just have to use them in M mode and you dont get metering until you hold the DOF preview, but its not that inconvenient. KA will work like any of the newer lenses with autoexposure and everything. The lenses should work just as well as on your old body but you are aware that they wont have the same field of view right? Its possible you will notice imperfections more because on the computer it is very easy to examine your photos closely. The lenses should perform the same, but if they are great lenses there is a chance you will look closer and notice the imperfections.

One thing to make sure is are those Pentax or non Pentax lenses? Some Ricoh lenses have been known to get stuck on the Pentax DSLRs, although the problem is easily fixable as I have detailed here, you just have to watch out for that little pin: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19214685

Hope that helps

SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:21 PM   #3

hey paul,
welcome to the forum. of my eleven lenses only 1 of them is a modern lens--AF.
i have 3 A lenses and the rest are all manual. they're all in the 25-35 year old class. recently i picked up a 500mm that is probably 35. it's not evenaperture coupled. 100% manual lens that you use like a screw mount lens. talk about a performer-- WOW!!! all lenses ever made for a pentax lense will work on the pentax DSLRs. if your glass is good with film then it will be as good on a dslr.

from about 42 meters 500mm.

roy
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:28 PM   #4

one from a macro lens made in '82. one of my A lenses
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:36 PM   #5
TDN

SelrahCharleS wrote:
Quote:
I use nothing but manual lenses on my Pentax *ist DS. You just have to use them in M mode and you dont get metering until you hold the DOF preview, but its not that inconvenient. KA will work like any of the newer lenses with autoexposure and everything. The lenses should work just as well as on your old body but you are aware that they wont have the same field of view right? Its possible you will notice imperfections more because on the computer it is very easy to examine your photos closely. The lenses should perform the same, but if they are great lenses there is a chance you will look closer and notice the imperfections.

One thing to make sure is are those Pentax or non Pentax lenses? Some Ricoh lenses have been known to get stuck on the Pentax DSLRs, although the problem is easily fixable as I have detailed here, you just have to watch out for that little pin: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19214685

Hope that helps
yes, pay extra attention to this and you'll be fine.

Among that older glass is some of the best ever made, and I find them very fun to use

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the information so far.

None of the glass I have is Pentax, and one of the Lenses is A Richo (the one I got with the camera almost 20 years ago), so the warnings about those lenses are good to see.

Fortunatly, the Richo lens doesn't have the problematic pin, and the rest of the lenses are free of any obstructions.

I think I'm all set information wise now, now It's time to find a camera body.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:07 PM   #7

k10d
you'll have to wait a month
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:23 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
k10d
you'll have to wait a month
Yeah, I know :-).

But that's an excuse to turn this into a Christmas present....

Paul
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:48 AM   #9

One thing to keep in mind is the crop factor, all your lenses will work as 1.5 times the focal length for a film camera.
Ie a 50mm lens now acts as a 75mm lens on a Pentax DSLR.

This can improve the quality of your old lenses as due to the sensor being smaller than 35mm film. This means the outer edges of the lens is not used.

As this is where most of the distirtion and problems appear then by using a smaller sensor that cocentrates more on the central portion of the lens output then the lens may perform better on a DSLR.

I use a lot of old lenses, with quite a few screw mount as well as k mount lenses. I still use the original kmount lens (55mm F1.8) 8) that came with my KX back in 1975.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 3:58 PM   #10

Here is a page that is very helpful with what you will end up with when the crop factor comes into play. I think the Pentax's are all the same and it is my understanding the new K10D will have the same crop factor. Correct me if I'm wrong.As you can see a 28 - 35mm lens is pretty close to the old normallens, but that nice old 135mm becomes a prettylong telephoto- Bruce

http://www.dcviews.com/lenses/Digital-SLR-lenses.htm
bper is offline   Reply With Quote