Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:48 PM   #1

I just purchased a 50mm f1.7 SMC-A lens from ebay to use with my DS and I can't figure out how to make it work as an A lens. It only works as an M lens. What do I have to do to set the lens to A? Thanks.
constp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:57 PM   #2

Move the aperature ring to the green "A". You will have to hold down the little button on the lens (near the green "A" mark). Once it is moved to the A position, let go of the button, it will (hopefully) lock in place.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:08 PM   #3

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
Move the aperature ring to the green "A". You will have to hold down the little button on the lens (near the green "A" mark). Once it is moved to the A position, let go of the button, it will (hopefully) lock in place.
I've tried what you suggested but can't line up the green "A" mark with the center red mark. The ringmoves so far as to align f11 with the red mark and doesn't go past that. Does this mean I have a defective lens? Thanks again.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:52 PM   #4

try it with the lens off the cam.
you'll also need to ''allow aperture ring'' in the custom menu.
welcome to the board,
roy
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:31 PM   #5

If you can't go past f11 yes the lens is defective.....You have to go to f22 (and then beyond w/ the little button pushed. You can take the lens off the camera and move to the farthest aperature position you can. Watch the blades from the back of the lens. f11 leaves about a 1/4" hole. f22 about a big 1/16"

constp wrote:
Quote:
oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
I've tried what you suggested but can't line up the green "A" mark with the center red mark. The ringmoves so far as to align f11 with the red mark and doesn't go past that. Does this mean I have a defective lens? Thanks again.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:08 PM   #6

Thank you all for your help. I've finally got it to work, but had to push really hard on the little button. Something must be wrong, as I don't think it should be that hard.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:57 AM   #7

It may be that it has only been used as a manual lens, and the 'A' setting never used.

My macro lens was a little stiff going on the camera first couple of times, now it fits perfectly.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:34 AM   #8

Not unusual as some of the A setting has not been used since new. Well since the 80s. No wonder the new Pentax lenses are not selling that well given that there are so many great old lenses around. I am not even talking about M42 lens.

Daniel

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
It may be that it has only been used as a manual lens, and the 'A' setting never used.

My macro lens was a little stiff going on the camera first couple of times, now it fits perfectly.

Darren
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote