Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:48 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Default

I just purchased a 50mm f1.7 SMC-A lens from ebay to use with my DS and I can't figure out how to make it work as an A lens. It only works as an M lens. What do I have to do to set the lens to A? Thanks.
constp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
oreo57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 152
Default

Move the aperature ring to the green "A". You will have to hold down the little button on the lens (near the green "A" mark). Once it is moved to the A position, let go of the button, it will (hopefully) lock in place.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:08 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Default

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
Move the aperature ring to the green "A". You will have to hold down the little button on the lens (near the green "A" mark). Once it is moved to the A position, let go of the button, it will (hopefully) lock in place.
I've tried what you suggested but can't line up the green "A" mark with the center red mark. The ringmoves so far as to align f11 with the red mark and doesn't go past that. Does this mean I have a defective lens? Thanks again.
constp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:52 PM   #4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

try it with the lens off the cam.
you'll also need to ''allow aperture ring'' in the custom menu.
welcome to the board,
roy
  Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
oreo57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 152
Default

If you can't go past f11 yes the lens is defective.....You have to go to f22 (and then beyond w/ the little button pushed. You can take the lens off the camera and move to the farthest aperature position you can. Watch the blades from the back of the lens. f11 leaves about a 1/4" hole. f22 about a big 1/16"

constp wrote:
Quote:
oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
Move the aperature ring to the green "A". You will have to hold down the little button on the lens (near the green "A" mark). Once it is moved to the A position, let go of the button, it will (hopefully) lock in place.
I've tried what you suggested but can't line up the green "A" mark with the center red mark. The ringmoves so far as to align f11 with the red mark and doesn't go past that. Does this mean I have a defective lens? Thanks again.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:08 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Default

Thank you all for your help. I've finally got it to work, but had to push really hard on the little button. Something must be wrong, as I don't think it should be that hard.
constp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

It may be that it has only been used as a manual lens, and the 'A' setting never used.

My macro lens was a little stiff going on the camera first couple of times, now it fits perfectly.



Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,888
Default

Not unusual as some of the A setting has not been used since new. Well since the 80s. No wonder the new Pentax lenses are not selling that well given that there are so many great old lenses around. I am not even talking about M42 lens.


Daniel

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
It may be that it has only been used as a manual lens, and the 'A' setting never used.

My macro lens was a little stiff going on the camera first couple of times, now it fits perfectly.



Darren
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.