Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:29 AM   #1

Does anyone know if there is any significant difference between this lens and the SMC-FA or D-FA version? Is it worth getting, or should I look for the FA instead? Any comments on this lens or images captured with this lens would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
cvitur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:19 AM   #2

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/give you the technical specifications for all K-mount Pentax lenses, bodies and accessories ever produced. There are some subjective comments on the F/FA 50 mm 2.8 macros as well. They are the same lens with one exception, the FA has a manual focus clamp that some find useful.

http://stans-photography.info/contains user evaluations of nearly all Pentax K-mount lenses, unfortunately the F 50 mm 2.8 is one of the fewexceptions. It's mentioned under the A 50 mm 2.8 and the FA 50 mm 2.8 though. The comments on the FA israther extensive.

Together these two web sites form thePentaxian's Holy Book, this is where any research on Pentax K-mount lenses starts. Enjoy your reading, don't forget about everyday chores as washing up and taking out the garbage.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:22 AM   #3

ALL 50 f2.8 Macros are tack sharp and excellent The FA-50 (F-50 is assumed identical)has a flare problem w/ ring flashes and very dark central objects surrounded by very bright light. I'm still keeping mine though. The A-50 does not have this problem but no AF of course. The D-FA "fixed" the problem w the FA....
I bought a d-FA 100 to compliment them. Don't own the D-FA50 but reported to be one of the best in class macros and would have bought it except I wanted the working distance of the 100...
The flare problem seems to have to do w/ the bright imaging of the aperature diaphram due to some sort of light bounce from sensor to back of the lens and then back to the sensor..maybe....and/or mostly.
At present costs (w/ rebates) the D-FA 50 is the recommended one.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:38 AM   #4

Just an "overview" of the fa-50 as a "normal" lens.

Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:46 AM   #5

I know I should not worry abou this, as it has already happened, but I purchased a SMC-F 50mm 2.8 Macro for $100 on ebay. Was this a fair price?
cvitur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:58 AM   #6

Very. I paid $170 for the FA-50 used