Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2006, 3:44 PM   #1

Finally, three weeks of waiting, my Zenitar arrived in the mail from Russia yesterday. Tried out first thing in the morning, from the balcony. Can the other Zenitar owners out there tell me if my lens is the sharpest it can be? is focusing to infinity properly, or is it a little soft and i should try the calibration hack? I noticed that the macdonalds sign is a little bit soft.

At f4:

F2.8, F5.6 and F22 photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shoey/
sho33y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:04 PM   #2

The example you gave is not that conclusive. Beside resolution , you should have objects in the middleground and foreground. If you have a little infinity focus issue, it will show that when set to infinity, your middle and foreground is sharper than infinity. Also make sure there is no camera shake at all

Simple correction

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15110084

Would you mind if you let people know which country you are in and if you have to pay duties/tax for importing

Daniel

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:22 PM   #3

Daniel wrote: Attachment: IMGP9695.JPG (Downloaded 1 time)

Kjell asks: Do you find Börje Salming, Peter Forsberg and the other Canadian Hockey super stars in there?:blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:25 PM   #4

thanks for the quick reply!
I'm in Australia, it came thru with no extra charges or taxes

I see. This picture was taken with focus set to infinity. So to really test it out as you said i need to have it set on infinity, and then compare the sharpness between fore/mid/background, and that all three's sharpness should be constant?

I've read several pages about the calibration trick, just that I'm worried if i stuff up it will make it worse.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:33 PM   #5

sho33y wrote:
Quote:
This picture was taken with focus set to infinity. So to really test it out as you said i need to have it set on infinity, and then compare the sharpness between fore/mid/background, and that all three's sharpness should be constant?
Only the background at infinity should be sharper than the fore/mid ground when you set to infinity. Should not be constant.

BTW beware that there is a huge d o f. Sometime it is difficult to compare. Use tripod and 2s method.

Daniel

Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:43 PM   #6

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Kjell asks: Do you find Börje Salming, Peter Forsberg and the other Canadian Hockey super stars in there?:blah:

Kjell
Kjell,

They are there. But in another pix below
My goodness. This is going to be fun. Can you seetheir pict at the lower 3 windows? Try your eyesight

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/69612534/original

Daniel

Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:50 PM   #7

sho33y wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the quick reply!
I'm in Australia, it came thru with no extra charges or taxes

I've read several pages about the calibration trick, just that I'm worried if i stuff up it will make it worse.
wow I imagine Aus is just as tax crazy as Canada. The bang for buck of your purchase is high compared with DA14mm or Sigma 10-17 imported from B&Hin New York.

You have nothing to worry. It is straightly a manual lens with no electronics at all and all recalibration is reversible. After a couple of weeks of use, you will know.

Daniel
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:04 PM   #8

yes its a bargin at $180AUD total

could you tell me what is the 2s method?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:18 PM   #9

sho33y wrote:
Quote:
yes its a bargin at $180AUD total

could you tell me what is the 2s method?
I think DA14mm is likely in AUD$600. No way.

(2s) 2 second self-timer. As you will be testing infinity, neglectible shake may make you believe that it is not sharp. In fact it may be sharp without the camera shake.

O you have k100d. Maybe less of an issue with SR on.

Daniel
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:44 PM   #10

Daniel (and others who purchased a zenitar 16mm lens from Russia),

I know you purchased a Zenitar 16mm from Russia. I live in Ontario, too. I'm thinking of buying a Zenitar 16mm lens from Russia. Could you tell me if I have to pay the duty/tax for importing this lens? Could you or anyother body in these forum recommend me a reliable seller? Thanks in advance!

Jason
NatureAdmirer is offline   Reply With Quote