Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:39 PM   #1

After two days of 10 - 12 degrees and then freezing rain, sleet and snow, this is what you end up with. I think the squash are ready, the tomatoes I'm not so sure about. Might be a little juicy inside, but they're definately not hot house ones. Shot with my M 50, F1.7. I'm getting to like this lens. The exposure was right on after hitting AE-L once. Shot at F5.6- Bruce

I added this last shot of the tree. I just recieved an M 28, F2.8 I bought on Ebay and wanted to get one picture in before it got to dark. The lens is in very good shape mechanically, but has some small specs of dust that seem to be inside. They don't seem to interfere with the picture and I can only see them with a magnifying glass. That's what I get for buying on Ebay. I'm going to play with cleaning some more. Just cleaning the rear element got rid of about half of it- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:00 PM   #2

Greatshots. Shows how sharp and useful an antique lens can be. Pity all the other brands force a complete change of lenses for every new body!! LOL!!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 6:19 PM   #3

very telling photos
on the lens and the weather

i thought you might like to know
we are heading for summer

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:37 PM   #4

Bruce,

I wish I am just as good as you are with manual lens. You save a bundle. We in Toronto still have not had a snow yet..... Buffalo got a pile of it though..

Daniel
www.pbase.com/danieltong

bper wrote:
Quote:
After two days of 10 - 12 degrees and then freezing rain, sleet and snow, this is what you end up with. I think the squash are ready, the tomatoes I'm not so sure about. Might be a little juicy inside, but they're definately not hot house ones. Shot with my M 50, F1.7. I'm getting to like this lens. The exposure was right on after hitting AE-L once. Shot at F5.6- Bruce

I added this last shot of the tree. I just recieved an M 28, F2.8 I bought on Ebay and wanted to get one picture in before it got to dark. The lens is in very good shape mechanically, but has some small specs of dust that seem to be inside. They don't seem to interfere with the picture and I can only see them with a magnifying glass. That's what I get for buying on Ebay. I'm going to play with cleaning some more. Just cleaning the rear element got rid of about half of it- Bruce
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:49 PM   #5

I got cold just looking at those. Nice shots!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 5:40 PM   #6

bruce,,, why harvest the veggies???? just take them out of the outside freezer.
a little dust,mold,fungus is not going to hurt you. i've got that lens and you will definately love it. it's sharp as a tack.........

roy
Old Nov 4, 2006, 5:46 PM   #7

as an example. this is the front of my A*300 f4

but it still takes images like this.

i only use it between f4-8 because it really starts to show above that. fortunately it's a very sharp lens at f4. this pic only shows the really bad spots, it's worse than what you see.

roy
Old Nov 4, 2006, 9:26 PM   #8

Roy - I assume these small spots on the inside of the lens are not dust (how would dust get in there), but must be mold or fungus. I see quite a few older lenses that if you exam them with a magnifying glass, especially on the back end, they show these specks inside the rear lens that look like dust. Have you heard about anything that will help this. I have read that letting the lens be exposed to the Suns rays will stop it, but this sounds pretty radical and I don't know if it helps or not. Sounds like a good thing for a discussion- Bruce

Here is a link I found with some information on fungus that is quiteinteresting:

http://www.mypentax.com/Fungus.html
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:20 AM   #9

Bruce- You was not the last: discovered one veggy and one mushroom today...
Cucumber comes first:

and non-harvested mushroom follows:

Best and happy shooting plus sharing, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:59 AM   #10

It has warmed up and thawed here now and when I picked the squash, they were soft. Guess 10 degrees doesn't do them any good, but makes a good picture. Luckily, I had picked all but these two small ones before it froze. I like your cucumber. All our white stuff is gone, but as Arnold says, "I'll be back"- Bruce