Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1

I have been trying to get close to a pair of Tui (New Zealand 'parson' birds), they are feeding near where I walk at lunch time. For three days I have been casually walking closer and closer to where they are and gently whistling as I go by.

Today I had everything, good weather, pistol grip on the *ist DS and a f6.5 450mm "Telelentar" ready mounted.

I got really close and I swear he even posed for me, I pulled the trigger and looked at the histogram to see only "no memory card"! Of course the card was safely back in my PC!

Duh!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:10 PM   #2

ooopppss
i dont feel so daft now
after some of the things i have mucked up trying to take bird photos

at least you got to see them real good this time

i find birds are best viewed without a camera
lol
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:43 PM   #3

wow, i was going to post a thread exactly like this one about my experience yesterday.. thanks john, for beating me to it.. hehe

i had to place a bid far north and west if me yesterday. there is an old sewage drying flat on the way home that's not been used for 30 years but ft. worth keeps it open for the photography crowd to use. it's a couple square miles of ponds. great for birding. i wanted to take the 500 out and see what i could get. loaded all into the car, ie: cam, monopod, lenses etc. when i got there i opened everything up and reached for the tripod and surprise!!! i'd forgotten it.. also the head that i use was on it so the monopod could not be used either.. oh well. it was a nice day anyway..

roy
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4

Yesterday sounds like a bad day for birding all the way around! I went hiking locally and took a variety of lenses and pictures. As I was taking a landscape with the M 50mm lens anda polarizer, I saw a red-tailed hawk soar by below me with the light on it's wings - awesome. Changed to the A300 to take bird pictures and just as I finished changing lenses, a Stellar Jay landed on a tree not far from me. Perfect lighting, perfect distance. Snapped 3 quick shots before he flew off - only to discover I FORGOT to change the camera to either AV or P and the since it was set to M, the shots were white/overexposed. Didn't see another bird for the rest of the walk, of course...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:18 PM   #5

I now carry an extra SD card in each of my cases after more than one time finding myself with an empty DS. It is more of an issue since I put the LCD cover on the camera, so I don't see the screen unless I open the shade up.

As I mentioned in the other thread about the 500, it is a project to take it with you although I did brace mine in the crotch of a tree, when a tripod I was using broke down and no longer could be used. When you are 25miles from home on a ATV to take bird photos, you have to do something to make the day work out to one extent or another.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:29 PM   #6

Similar to Mtngal- I was at a local airport which had some of the old warbirds( B27, B24 and B25). I was happily Shooting away. Got home to do the post processing,
And Discovered, that first i had shot all in JPEG and then that i had the camera Set at 1600 ASA. Not all but most of the pitures were a quite bad.
Not quite the Disasters you guys had, but ruined My Day. I Guess I just Chalk It up to a Senior moment. Or what i call Sometimers( Sometime i remember --Sometimes i dont)

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 1:27 PM   #7
TDN

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
I have been trying to get close to a pair of Tui (New Zealand 'parson' birds), they are feeding near where I walk at lunch time. For three days I have been casually walking closer and closer to where they are and gently whistling as I go by.

Today I had everything, good weather, pistol grip on the *ist DS and a f6.5 450mm "Telelentar" ready mounted.

I got really close and I swear he even posed for me, I pulled the trigger and looked at the histogram to see only "no memory card"! Of course the card was safely back in my PC!

Duh!

Oh no, that's an akward situation..

suddenly I feel glad I work with small 512MB cards and not with 1 big 2 or 4 GB card.
That way I always have at least 1 extra card in my camera bag, even if I leave the other one in the card reader at home.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:12 AM   #8

I remember a line in A League of their own fromTom Hank:
"If it is not hard, everybody can do it. "
Let me say that anybody can take birdie shot even with P&S. But with decent result is something entirely different.

Daniel

John Hill wrote:
Quote:

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:08 PM   #9

i have worked out that bird photo opportunities are inversely proportional to the photographers readyness to photograph them

i went out looking for bird photos on the weekend

not one bird appeared until i gave up and put my macro set up on and started taking flower photos instead
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:27 PM   #10

We have had a week of wet miserable weather but today the sky is clear so I took my rig down by the river to see if my tui friend was 'at home'. He was there alright, busy chasing mina birds away but unfortunately the wind was so strong he could hardly hold on to his perch except right inside the foliage. Hence there were not clear shots possible but at least he does not scamper everytime I come on the scene. Maybe tomorrow.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote