Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:41 PM   #11
TDN

chacha wrote:
Quote:
A pentax k100d user's thread in this forum, while praising her new k100d, mentioned that a friends nikon d50 always got better pictures.
A camera doesn't take pictures, a photographer does

Once you know the camera & its settings, there won't be a huge difference in quality between any of the comparable entry DLSRs.

Want you want to look at is handling, lens availability and possibility to upgrade.

But with the big manufaturers I don't think any of that poses a real problem, so your choice is narrowed down for you to: "which camera do you like best"

I miss 2 things in my *ist DL: a vertical grip and TTL flash. Aside from that, it's the perfect camera for me.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:45 PM   #12

While there there still remain technical differences between DSLR's - the new crop of cameras are all nice and for the average Joe, i would have thought that any of them would be considered 'very good'.What may become more important is how the thing feels in your hand and lens availabilityetc.

I have the K100D, which I like very much. I am impressed with having a stabilised body. Good all rounder

I have owned the now older D50, this had rip fast auto focus, though I found skin tones a little overcooked (out of the camera) for my taste.

I have had a Samsung (rebadged ist DL2) which i thought had a really nice image but a slow auto focus.

I have had a Canon 300D, which gave a nice image but is now 2 generations old and difficult to compare with the new stuff.

The E500 appears well regarded by most reviewers, though it has a smaller sensor.

I find that my cameras give a good A4 sized print but that most reviewers insist on blowing up to A3 or 100% crops so that they can explore the kind of differences that I would never see.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:44 PM   #13

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
chacha wrote:
Quote:
Could the lens used have effected image quality results from your d50 and istds comparison?
Yes. I wasn't comparing like with like.

I forgot to mention that I was able to evaluate the Sigma 18-200mm & Tamron 18-200mm which I compared against corresponding focal length with the Pentax DA 18-55mm lens.

Whilst at the bottom end, results weren't too bad, the performance of the both Sigma & Tamron lens at beyond 135mm was questionable - the Sigma was out of focus at 200mm.

This convinced me to buy the Pentax DA 50-200mm which when I made subsequent comparisons, knocked spots off both independents.

However, I still would like one lens covering 18-200mm & overall, the Tamron is the better of the two.
Dear Catbells. Thank you for these great photos. I have written two complete replies to your photos and each time that I read the preview and then return to click send, my reply is gone. I'm giving up for tonight. Hopefully tomorrow, this reply box will actually work. Again, my appologies. I tried. Chacha
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:46 PM   #14

TDN wrote:
Quote:
chacha wrote:
Quote:
A pentax k100d user's thread in this forum, while praising her new k100d, mentioned that a friends nikon d50 always got better pictures.
A camera doesn't take pictures, a photographer does

Once you know the camera & its settings, there won't be a huge difference in quality between any of the comparable entry DLSRs.

Want you want to look at is handling, lens availability and possibility to upgrade.

But with the big manufaturers I don't think any of that poses a real problem, so your choice is narrowed down for you to: "which camera do you like best"

I miss 2 things in my *ist DL: a vertical grip and TTL flash. Aside from that, it's the perfect camera for me.
Thank you for this excellent comment. Chacha
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:56 PM   #15

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
While there there still remain technical differences between DSLR's - the new crop of cameras are all nice and for the average Joe, i would have thought that any of them would be considered 'very good'.What may become more important is how the thing feels in your hand and lens availabilityetc.

I have the K100D, which I like very much. I am impressed with having a stabilised body. Good all rounder

I have owned the now older D50, this had rip fast auto focus, though I found skin tones a little overcooked (out of the camera) for my taste.

I have had a Samsung (rebadged ist DL2) which i thought had a really nice image but a slow auto focus.

I have had a Canon 300D, which gave a nice image but is now 2 generations old and difficult to compare with the new stuff.

The E500 appears well regarded by most reviewers, though it has a smaller sensor.

I find that my cameras give a good A4 sized print but that most reviewers insist on blowing up to A3 or 100% crops so that they can explore the kind of differences that I would never see.
Your point that at this level the playing field is pretty even and is shared with the other entries to this thread and it's starting to compute in my brain. I am particularly taken by the fact that you have owned the d50 and the rebel. I have visited four of our local electronic stores and have had the privlidge to handle each of these cameras. I have narrow hands so the e500 felt good, followed by the pentax and then the rebel xti. I'm not crazy about the d50's large size and the even larger sizes of the nikon d70 and d80. The eos 30d felt fair, but is still large for me. These larger cameras feel like holding cereal boxes. I'm anxiouis to hold the pentax k10, but by then I probably will have bought the k100d. I appreciate the patience of the pentax forum members.By now they probably realize that Chacha (me) is trying to clear his last doubts before making the plunge. I do not have to rush out and buy, so I'm enjoying the journey. Chacha.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 2:20 PM   #16

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
chacha wrote:
Quote:
Could the lens used have effected image quality results from your d50 and istds comparison?
Yes. I wasn't comparing like with like.

I forgot to mention that I was able to evaluate the Sigma 18-200mm & Tamron 18-200mm which I compared against corresponding focal length with the Pentax DA 18-55mm lens.

Whilst at the bottom end, results weren't too bad, the performance of the both Sigma & Tamron lens at beyond 135mm was questionable - the Sigma was out of focus at 200mm.

This convinced me to buy the Pentax DA 50-200mm which when I made subsequent comparisons, knocked spots off both independents.

However, I still would like one lens covering 18-200mm & overall, the Tamron is the better of the two.
Thank you for these really helpful pictures. I'm sorry for this late reply; I made several earlier attempts, but for some reason I was not able to return from preview to the send area without loosing my "written reply". So this time I will not preview.
The photos for the 18--200mm lense was more helpful, but the photos for the 18-55mm was less so because you scrambled the photos for the 18-55mm lens. I was not able to unscramble them to make sense. Sorry.

But what I observed in the 18-200 mm was that the Sigma was soft and really clipped it's highlights. The Tamron was too dark, but had great highlights (see the window sills above the sign.) The Pentax was so bright and vivid that it seemed like a different day. I think the posters hanging from the window were different. It's highlights were nicely toned as well. So the Pentax did a much better job with everything. However I was not able to make sense out of the 18-55mm comparisons, as my brain was not nimble enough to make sense out of the misarrangement of the pictures. I would appreciate your comments. But I am aware of a Pentax 55mm comparison in SteveDigicam's k100d review. If you look at the picture of the red brick building and parking area that he always uses in the sample photos, there's a long white cement retainer wall, just a couple feet high and running the length of the sidewalk on the left of the photo. The K100 renders all the nice tones in that retainer wall, while the e500 and the d50 blow it out. That's very impressive to me.

However, while the image resource review of the d50 said that the d50 default color blew out the highlights, it was easilly fixed by adjusting exposure down a notch. That comment is what made me recheck the sample images of the d50 and compare them to the k100d. The d50 seems to have rich, lush color--very attractive, whereas the k100 has more natural, realistic color after a few exposure presets, (default color is vivid). So I'm now stalled as to which camera I like better. Of course I realize that I've just lost any patience that I may have had from pentax owners, especially from those who feel that at this level, with a few exposure adjustments, all the camera image qualities are the same.

Chacha
Old Nov 18, 2006, 3:04 PM   #17

I don't think the D50 has the K100D's digital preview function, that in itself is a great help to getting good exposures, just flick the on/off switch with the blowout blinker selected and you can see straight away if there's a problem. (You don't have to get an AF lock).
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:13 PM   #18

SteveB wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the D50 has the K100D's digital preview function, that in itself is a great help to getting good exposures, just flick the on/off switch with the blowout blinker selected and you can see straight away if there's a problem. (You don't have to get an AF lock).
You're right. That's the thing about the k100. It has so many features, in addition to very nice pictures, that it's easy to forget what attracted you to the camera. One of the reviewers said that it seems like the camera was designed by actual photographers. One reason I have notbought one of the other big name intro dslr's is because the k100 has so much to offer that would make photography easy for a beginner like myself. Since I still have plenty of time before I will actually need one, I'm waiting to read the reviews and puruse the samples of the k10d. It truely ought to be the camera of the decade, if the image quality is there. Unfortunately, waiting so long for a review is throwing water on all the excitement created by pentax's early news release. ChaCha
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:44 AM   #19

It sounds like your at the point that making your decision by flipping a coin might be the way to go! I almost did that when I was buying my first digital camera (choice between a Sony F717 and a Nikon). I ended up deciding on the Sony because a non-photo person on something like epinions said that they had trouble with all of his pictures being blurry with the Nikon. Not exactly a scientific reason for choosing one camera over other, but decided that the Sony was a little more "fool-proof" (no idea to this day whether that was true or not). In any case, I took many lovely pictures with that Sony and never regretted my choice.

Apparently they are selling the K10D at the San Diego Expo - several people on dpreview posted examples of pictures they've taken. I am NOT going to Del Mar today! I am NOT going to Samy's Camera store in L.A. tomorrow (someone said they have the cameras in the warehouse and will be selling them Monday). I MIGHT see if my local camera store has one on display Monday (probably not as they are primarily a Canon and a Nikon dealer), while leaving all monitary exchange objects somewhere other than on my person. What's hardest about this is that I took tons of pictures yesterday and didn't like any of them (oh well, learned something about linear polarizers and FA lenses).

I know that buying a camera is committing a fair amount of money for something, and you might not get your money back if you make a mistake. But good pictures depend on practice, and the sooner you get a camera (any camera), the sooner you can start getting familiar with your camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:28 AM   #20

Quote:
chacha wrote:
The photos for the 18--200mm lens was more helpful, but the photos for the 18-55mm was less so because you scrambled the photos for the 18-55mm lens. I was not able to unscramble them to make sense. Sorry.

But what I observed in the 18-200 mm was that the Sigma was soft and really clipped it's highlights. The Tamron was too dark, but had great highlights (see the window sills above the sign.) The Pentax was so bright and vivid that it seemed like a different day.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'scrambled' There are two sets of images - 18mm & 55mm. There are two columns for each with the Pentax JPEG at the the top. On the left hand side are the JPEG images for the Sigma & Tamron & on the right hand side, the RAW converted images.

I agree that the images are probably not so good so as to allow a constructive comparison - at the original time of posting, I carried a link to the full size image which was obviously clearer. But it does sort of indicate that at these focal lengths, the Sigma & Tamron preform reasonably well against the Pentax DA 18-55mm.

The shots at a longer focal length using the Sigma & Tamron were on the same day & the results from these convinced me to go for the Pentax DA 50-200mm. Several days passed before I took delivery of the lens & I tried to choose a day that was as near to that for the Sigma/Tamron comparison - so yes, the Pentax images were taken on a different day - BUT they really did convince me that I'd made the right choice.

Have a look at these reviews and you'll see that the Sigmas has real problems at 135mm & beyond - particularly with the Canon>

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3563/index.htm

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3563/index.htm

Given the choice of the Sigma or Tamron, I'd go for the Tamron - at least it focuses at 200mm.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote