Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:05 AM   #1

today i scored myself two Takumars - 135mm F3.5 and 200mm F4, for the price of $15 USD each because they have spots of fungus on them. i've read a bit of info on the web about disassembling them & cleaning, but if the fungal spot is on the fringe of the front element and my DSLR crops anyway, then perhaps i dont need to worry too much since they wont appear within frame?
sho33y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:22 AM   #2

wrap the front of the lens in aluminum foil, shiny side to the lens, and set them in the sun so the sun shines into them for 4-5 hours. this will kill any active fungus. keep them dry from then on. a lot of the time fungus starts because the lens has been stored in the case for too long..

roy
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3

Here is a good article I recently ran across. I think we all have lenses with a few fungus spots on the inside, just don't let it get to you. Most of the time it doesn't show up on the picture. I have also read that putting a silica gel packet (anti-moisture)in your camera bag can help keep things dry and these are pretty cheap insurance against fungus continuing to develop- Bruce

http://www.mypentax.com/Fungus.html
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:48 PM   #4

I have an older Polaris lens which has a fungus spot inside the front element. I discovered it by looking through the lens without the camera. It is too small to show up in any of the pictures even at the smallest aperture. Of course I was afraid it would spread and ruin the lens completely so I did the UV light treatment. I put an UV tube in front of the lens and wrapped the rear with aluminum foil.

It must have worked and I think it did kill the fungus. The spot didn't go away but it has not been growing since March. Since it doesn't affect the picture quality - I can live with it.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:16 PM   #5

thanks, it looks like fungus isnt the kiss of death that it appears to be. since my lenses were so cheap i am prepared to open one up and follow some online tutorials on cleaning and killing.

other opinions however, are very paranoid about the fungi. e.g not keeping the infected lens in the same room as the other lenses. if thats the case, dosnt that mean i shouldnt use the infected lens in the same camera body as my other lenses until all fungi and spores etc are all dead?

HogRider did you shine the UV light through the lens and what source did you use for your UV?
sho33y is offline   Reply With Quote