Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:14 PM   #1

every year on 5th of Nov we have something called Bonefire Night here in UK. lot's of fireworks going off all night. here are some shoot through my window. Vivitar series 1 70-210. manual mode 4 sec f 16, tripod shutter release

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:59 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Spectacular Greg! It will be July before we see fireworks in the US again!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:35 PM   #3

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Spectacular Greg! It will be July before we see fireworks in the US again!
wrong, the end of december..

roy
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:02 PM   #4

Wow, those are really great! No professional fireworks around here for New Years Roy, though there are plenty of "illegal" ones going up. My wife and I are talking about season passes to Disney World for Christmas for the kids and they have fireworks every night, so maybe I can get enough practice to get it right!

Greg, thanks for posting your settings. I would never have guessed such a long shutter time. Again, those are really spectacular.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:47 PM   #5

Beautiful images! One of the few things I have never had luck with was fireworks! Great job.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:21 PM   #6

Awesome pictures! No fireworks are allowed up here in the national forest at any time (fire danger) so if I want to try something like thisI have to go somewhere else. Wonder how my other half would feel about a trip to Disneyland this December?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:36 PM   #7

Remember remember the 5th of November. My favourite story in history when I was growing up! When I lived overseas in SE Asia, the International community would have their own Guy Fawkes night complete with bonfire and effigy! Those were the times!

I just love that you celebrate the idea of blowing up parliament every year! Its awesome!
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:12 PM   #8

Very impressive!
gadgetguy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:43 AM   #9

actually it was my first try at fireworks. and I shot it through dirty window . I tried 2 sec first but it was too short. I think it depends how often they go off. these were set off fairly often so I thing I got lucky. oh, and I set the focus to infinity and at f16 everything seems to be fine.

thanks for all nice comments.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:41 AM   #10

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, those are really great! No professional fireworks around here for New Years Roy, though there are plenty of "illegal" ones going up. My wife and I are talking about season passes to Disney World for Christmas for the kids and they have fireworks every night, so maybe I can get enough practice to get it right!
We leave for 10 days and 9 nights at Disney World on New Year's Eve so I'll have plenty of chances for firework photos then - the trick there is also to get the castle in the picture, in focus, with good color. It can be tricky! There's also fireworks at Epcot nightly but those don't seem to get much attention from the a photography point of view.

There's lots of firework photography discussion on the Disboards photography forum. Disney's a good place to practice, too, as there are so darn many fireworks and the show is more or less the same every night, so you can predict parts of it if you've seen it before. Disneyland's fireworks show is even more spectacular but it was so crowded last time we went that we didn't really get a chance to watch it properly at all, much less photograph any of it.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote