Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:04 PM   #1

With the boards down for much of the weekend I found that the only way to get my photographic fix was to (gasp) take pictures! :-) These are from a short boat trip down a creek not far from my home. The creek is surrounded by some untouched Florida habitat. It was more than a little scary taking the camera out in a 12 foot john boat, especially when we hit a submerged log and almost overturned. There have been many better bird pictures posted here but these are some of the better ones I have taken, so I am sharing them. These wereboth taken with the K100d, Sigma 70-300 APO Super, and the boat was in motion forboth of them. My new theory is that if you cannot afford big glass for birding, take pictures of big birds! :lol:

Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:07 PM   #2

One challenge I found was that the white feathers in most of my shots did not contain any detail against the darker background. I suppose this is where shooting in RAW would have helped.

Tim
Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:20 PM   #3

tim,
these are nice and would have been great except for the blown hi-lights. you probably could have done better shooting in raw. you have a little more latitude there. the 2nd is nailed as far as focus is concerned..

roy
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:28 PM   #4

the ''theory'' is also correct..
i like this type of image. here's a littl this and that.. it's a shame you can't burn in hi-lights.
Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:11 PM   #5

I found the same thing, white birds are very difficult to photograph. I did better by underexposing fairly signficantly (even with raw you can blow out the highlights). You might try bracketing next time you try Giant Egrets.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:14 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
tim,
these are nice and would have been great except for the blown hi-lights. you probably could have done better shooting in raw. you have a little more latitude there. the 2nd is nailed as far as focus is concerned..

roy
Hi Roy,
Yes, After viewing them I wished I had been using RAW. The problem is I am not yet comfortable enough with RAW to use it for shots that I cannot back up with a Jpeg. It also seems like quite a bit of extra work when I am generally happy with the K100d's decisions. In this case, though, it would have been better.

Assuming a raw phobic person, what settings might I change to prevent blowing highlights on white birds? Would moving the exposure compensation down a half stop have fixed this? I had heard that the K10 might offer the option of taking both RAW and a jpeg at the same time. For a newbie like me, that might be ideal.

Thanks for the input and any advice,

Tim
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:17 PM   #7

Hi Mtngal,

Thanks! I had not thought of bracketing (nor have I ever tried it). I will give that a shot next time.

Thanks,

Tim
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:05 PM   #8

depending if you cropped or not you can use spot metering and meter directly on the white of the bird. as far as shooting in raw, it would not have helped as the white are totally blown. if it's not there then it's not there and nothing will bring it back. as H said try bracketing by a full stop next time or take a general setting and close down 2 stops. also turn on the ''bright portion'' in the playback menu. i have mine set to ''instant preview & playback'' . this will show you the clippedhi-lights every time. i leave it on all the time.

roy
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:50 PM   #9

Hi Tim,

Some fine shots of the Great Egret ( you can tell it's a "Great" from the yellow beak -- the "Snowy" has a black beak and freaky black legs with bright yellow feet). I'm a believer it the bigger bird theory also. . .:-)

In my few encounters with egrets. I've found that spot metering on the brightest areas works pretty well, then I switch to M mode, using the readings from my usual Av mode, then shoot as many shots as I can get before the birds tire of me and take off. The reason that I switch to manual as opposed to AE Lock is that I know that all the exposures will be the same after it's set, and I just can't get a handle on how AE Lock sometimes -- I'm sure it's my fault, but it seems to turn off sometimes when I least expect it to. Anyway, switching to manual allows me to expose for the white bird regardless of where the metering point is located in the frame when I compose the shot.

I also use the blinking highlights, but have instant review turned off, as I usually find it annoying for every shot, so I just chimp the first couple of shots to make sure my exposures are on the money, without blown highlights, then fire away.

Here's one of my better efforts -- luckily the Egret wasn't in a hurry to shut me down that day, and I had some time to play with the exposure settings, which was a good thing because the lighting was very tricky. . .

This was with my DS, FA*300/4.5 +PF 1.7x AFA, F11 (corrected for the TC), 1/400, ISO 200, Best Jpeg.

I have since found a good area for egrets, so I hope to be able to get a lot of shots at them next season. . . with my then nicely broken in K10D :-). . .

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:02 PM   #10

Here is mine, shot at ISO 400 in jpg, center metering.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote