Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:41 PM   #1

I'm still intimidated by the critiques board - those guys are so good, so I hope you don't mind me asking this question here.

I took a photo yesterday morning. When I looked at it on the monitor, I noticed that I had framed it to the lines of the tractor, but that it was on a slope, and the buildings in the background were "tilted" and that really bothered me. I rotated the picture so the buildings were correct, but the tractor is now really tilted and that bothers me, too. Which one is better?

This was taken with the DS and the kit lens (thought the kit lens handled the early morning color quite well). Original photo:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:47 PM   #2

Here's the rotated version. Which is better? Or should I just give up on it all together? It was a nice sunrise and I took a number of pictures that were nice.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:10 PM   #3

I have been caught by this one where you concentrate on the subject and miss those little details in the background.

The building look as though they could be falling over, maybe even given the final shove by the adjacent pole that is about to topple onto it.

Defintley the corrected version, as those small distractions are minimised.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:14 PM   #4

Hi Harriet,

I'm partial to the first shot. But that's just me.

With the obvious benefit of hindsight, I think I would have moved more to the right, hiding the building behind the tractor and also eliminating the gap in the fence, then shot the tractor level as you did.

I've found that I'm much more aware of backgrounds now than I have been in the past, just concentrating on the subject. The reasons for this increased awareness are photographs kinda like this one for you. The fact that you noticed this at all means that you'll probably take backgrounds more into account than before from now on. That's how it worked for me at least. It's a growth thing. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:53 PM   #5

My preference, and that is all it is, is for the first one. I think the foreground object is more noticable and mountains are expected to slope. I would not have even noticed any slant to the house in the middle if you had not pointed it out.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:59 PM   #6

I like the first one also. It's a beautiful scene either way, but your primary subject looks better in the first shot.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:38 PM   #7
PDL

First shot -

Telephone poles and fence posts are straight up and down not at an angle. In order to show the viewer that the tractor is on the side of a hill - get lower - show some foreground. Show that the tractor is on a slope.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:13 PM   #8

I'm with philneast. I like the Corrected picture. Although I have To agree, that had you not mentioned it. I Might never have noticed That The picture is not level.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:40 AM   #9

I'd correct it. Maybe one can't put the finger on why, but there is "something wrong" with the first one that's disturbing. I'd even say that the second one isn't enough rotated, the houses and the trees are still a bit tilted. That the tractor is tilted doesn't disturb, it only tells me that it is standing in a rather steep slope, and that adds thrill.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:49 AM   #10

Here's a different slant (no pun intended) on things. Re-adjust the position of the building and fence using 'Skew' or whatever.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote