Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:18 PM   #1

I hope anyone in the tristate area who has a pentax went to the photoplus show, because the K10D was there and an operational pre-model. It is getting out of Japan in a week.

I'm a Minolta user with the 5D but the Pentax was impressive. The 10 megapixels is nice and makes for bigger prints. What really got me was all the in camera processing that can be done, 3 histograms (on one screen), in camera filters, making it much easier if i am overseas and want to upload good photos through a Internet Cafe. The camera isnt much bigger than the 100D, in fact you cant even tell the difference almost, except that the switch on the fore left part of the camera beside the lens (that used to say MF/AF) now has 3 options for focus. The LCD looks impeccable too.

My qualms with it is when asking things like how to change the ISO and other things, the rep took a while to get to them, its a snap in my 5D, but that really isnt a problem i think if you get used to which upon doing so becomes faster. The 10D also works with all pentax lenses though i saw some users with pentax lenses not be able to use autofocus (i dont know if that lens had autofocus or not), only manual. Also, there is no ISO 100 capability i saw in it, now maybe thats just the premodel since the large brochure states it has ISO 100. Also the shake reduction is nice, i tried comparing to my 5D but wasnt able to find a reliable method to test it, though you can definitely tell that the 10D has a viable antishake system.

The K10D (and i think all K cameras), as the rep told me, dont work with analog flashes, so you can only use digital ones. I dont know if having a flash adapter would make them work (as i use a Sunpak on my 5D but is only manual) but it is meant for digital.

So The K10D will be distributed from Phillipines (and i hope produced in Japan, though the rep says theres no difference) and arriving on shelves probably around the end of the month.

~~~ I forgot to mention that the body has 72 seals, so it is rainproof, with the flash up as well. Also the rep said that there will be sealed lenses coming out soon. The battery grip will have 38 seals and felt nice on the camera, feels like a pro camera (but smaller than the others).
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Administrator

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
The K10D (and i think all K cameras), as the rep told me, dont work with analog flashes, so you can only use digital ones. I dont know if having a flash adapter would make them work (as i use a Sunpak on my 5D but is only manual) but it is meant for digital.
Your Sunpak 333 Auto should work on a Pentax DSLR, and you wouldn't even need an adapter for it. A non-dedicated strobe like your Sunpak with an ISO standard foot fits on a Pentax shoe (it just doesn't use the extra pins).

You'd use it the same way that you would on a Konica Minolta DSLR, using Manual Exposure on the camera, setting your shutter speed to any reasonable value below the camera's max sync speed, and setting the aperture and ISO speed to match the aperture range selected on the flash (or use manual power settings on the flash as an alternative to the Auto ranges).

Unless Pentax changed something with the K10D in the way it communicates with the hotshoe, it should fire just fine. I've seen others report that non-dedicated Sunpaks work on their Pentax DSLR models, with the Sunpak 383 Super being a popular model (similar to your 333 Auto, except that your 333 Auto also has a manual zoom head built in). You just need to use manual exposure with one (just like you would on other cameras).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote