Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:50 PM   #1

Ok, I'm a little confused on the whole taking a picture with the mirror flipped up on a pentax ist. When I have locked it open with the "mirror clean" option in the menu, it always closes with the shutter. Maybe I'm just an idiot and I've figured it out but I dont understand how it to get it to stay locked up because having it flip down when the shutter is pressed seems to defeat the purpose of locking it up in the first place. Thanks,
-alex

p.s. The first person to tell me the name of the Roman general to defeat argueably one of the greatest generals of classical history, a proud Carthiginian, and also what was the name of the battle, will have the most credibility in his or her answer of the mirror mystery. No need to be specific in names, I'm just wondering if any other Pentaxians are Roman history fans.

Pentaxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:56 PM   #2

Sorry, I can't answer your major question. The answer to your secondary question is Scipio, at the battle of Zama (the Carthiginian was, of course, Hannibal).

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:05 PM   #3

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I can't answer your major question. The answer to your secondary question is Scipio, at the battle of Zama (the Carthiginian was, of course, Hannibal).

Tim
wow!!

the ist series does not support mirror lock up.
the reason for mirror lockup is to let the cam settle down it's movements before aperture release. the continous mirror lockup is for CLEANING only. you can however choose the F button , go up with the four way controler and choose the 2 second option. this will lockup the mirror for 2 seconds before the shutter release.

roy
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:25 PM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
the reason for mirror lockup is to let the cam settle down it's movements before aperture release. the continous mirror lockup is for CLEANING only. you can however choose the F button , go up with the four way controler and choose the 2 second option. this will lockup the mirror for 2 seconds before the shutter release.

roy
It also has a 12 second mirror lock-up option. I used the 2 sec. lock-up occasionally when I was handholding the DS in low light - I tend to move the camera slightly when I press the shutter. I don't with the K100D because using either of the lock-up options shuts off the SR, and I'd rather use the SR than worry about a bit of camera movement due to pressing the shutter.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:33 PM   #5

my DS has a 12 second delay but the mirror does not lock up during the interval. what model are you using harriet??

roy
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:35 PM   #6

There is a "Sensor Cleaning' function in the menu for Sensor cleaning purposes only. You are supposed to release the shutter and let the mirror back down by turning the camera off after you are done.

The only way to pre-release the mirror for shake reduction is the 2s self timer.

Idig Greek History and Mythology. I translated The "Gallic Wars" By Julius Caesar when I was in shool. That's about all with the Romans.

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur. Hi omnes lingua, institutis, legibus inter se differunt.

Gallos ab Aquitanis Garumna flumen, a Belgis Matrona et Sequana dividit.

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae, propterea quod a cultu atque humanitate provinciae longissime absunt, minimeque ad eos mercatores saepe commeant atque ea quae ad effeminandos animos pertinent important, proximique sunt Germanis, qui trans Rhenum incolunt, quibuscum continenter bellum gerunt. Qua de causa Helvetii quoque reliquos Gallos virtute praecedunt, quod fere cotidianis proeliis cum Germanis contendunt, cum aut suis finibus eos prohibent aut ipsi in eorum finibus bellum gerunt.

And so on.....:-)

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:42 PM   #7

Two years of Latin in High School and about all I remember is:

Latin is a language dead, as dead as it can be.
First it killed the Romans, and now it's killing me.
All are dead who ever wrote it,
all are dead who ever spoke it
all are dead who ever learned it
blessed death, they surely earned it.

Tim

:-):-):-):-):-)
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:42 PM   #8

That was a quick response! Well I'll look into all of it

Thanks again
Pentaxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:42 PM   #9
daz

If you take a photo with a long lens "over 100 mm or so" and you have the camera ,light like a *ist, on a light tripod when the mirror flips up this hole mess can vibrate. If the shutter speed in the range of lets say .5 to 1.5 seconds this can make motion blur in your photo. The exact speeds depend on your setup. If the shutter speed is fast it will be all over before you have to much movement. If the shutter speed is slow it will dampen out and be to small a percentage of the total to show any blur.

When you use the "mirror clean" option this is just so you can have access to the sensor for cleaning. Pushing the shutter button tells the camera to stop. This is not the same as using the "mirror lock up". When you use mirror lock up the camera will flip up the mirror about one second before opening the shutter so that the camera/tripod can stop moving before the shutter opens.

Battle at Zama

Scipio

DAZ
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:58 AM   #10

Roy - Really? Guess I gotta read the book again - tells you that the longer I go from when I read it, the more I forget. Thanks for correcting my faulty memory
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote